NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   3/21 Fishermans Ralley Report (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44657)

CaptBob 03-21-2012 10:33 PM

3/21 Fishermans Ralley Report

Matt and I attended the "Keep The Fisherman Fishing" ralley in Wash DC along with many others from Maine to Fla and NJ to Alaska.

The crowd was only about 1/3 of what we had 2 years ago, very disapointing. Many of us make a good living from our Oceans and Bays and many enjoy the recreation, where were they?

The Politicians who spoke ...claimed to be on our side, voices from both sides of the isle touting Bi-partisan support, what we heard 2 years ago. To date NO ACTION!

With 22 states bordering the Atlantic, the Pacific and the Gulf and all having a Fishing industry, both Commercial and Recreational, that would give more than enough support in the Senate and House of Representitives to take the needed action. I don't know what the answer is but I am tired of banging my head on the wall.

Thank you Tony for putting the buses together and all the work that went into it, thank you Capt Ron for keeping heard on our Atlantic Highlands group. Big thank you to Pete from Atlantic Tackle for all his support, refreshments and support in his shop for those that attended.

I would like to thank the Belford Commercial Fisherman (where I have my roots) for a large turnout and filling our bus.

A high thank you for all that attended, taking time away from your jobs, business and families.

I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but I can't see it. As Pogo said "we have met the enemy, and he is us!

CaptBob 03-21-2012 10:42 PM

Re: 3/21 Fishermans Ralley Report

5 Attachment(s)
Pics

hammer4reel 03-21-2012 11:01 PM

Nice seeing you there today Capt Bob !!

Headed out on the Bogans basin bus after meeting Capt Rich and Captain Joe for the long bus ride to Washington. as we got to the rally station we could see there were many less than had been standing there 2 years previous. Probably about 1300 total , with about 200 being from NJ .
sad to say we didnt even have 1/10 of 1% of the registered NJ fisherman there.
I can only hope the people who spoke there today just figured in todays economy it was tough for people to get there, and Not that 99.9% of the fisherman just dont care enough to fight anymore.
after the first 2 hours there were only about 300 fisherman still there listening to the remaining speakers.

These people came from much further than NJ ,, and should have been given a little more respect by the crowd at least hearing what they came there to say.

I think the ball to push for reform was definetly dropped today and can only hope the senators who spoke continue to keep it in play

Was nice seeing some of the local tackle shops once again represented, as well as Reps, from Avet , Shimano, and Bimini Bay.

Captain Mike C 03-21-2012 11:16 PM

We attended today and as reported the attendance was light. Not sure where most with any interest in fishing could possibly be. If you can take a day off to go fishing why not take a day off to listen to attend and protect your sportfish investment? If not for you maybe your kids? For $10 what a deal. Very sad on the attendance.

Don’t worry when NOAA / NMFS shut down the east coast like they have done in the state of California then it will be too late, you’re not getting it back. Trust us its coming and booze cruises and rafting excurses in the back bay on your high powered sportfish's are not going to cut it. Wake up this crap is real and this situation sucks!

Thank you to the RFA, Bogans and Dave at The Reel Seat for organizing all this. Sometimes only 1% can get it done.

Angler Paul 03-21-2012 11:34 PM

I cut my steelhead fishing trip short and drove direct from Pulaski to DC to attend the rally. As stated, the crowd or lack thereof was somewhat disappointing but on the positive side, there were far more politicians speaking in our favor than last time. All gave spirited speaches. I kind of liken the fishemen there to that saying about the dog. Remember it is not the size of the crowd in the fight, it is the size of fight in the crowd. Thank you to all who were involved and keep up the good work.

Paul Haertel
2nd VP JCAA

CaptTB 03-22-2012 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptBob SHFA
The Politicians who spoke ...claimed to be on our side, voices from both sides of the isle touting Bi-partisan support, what we heard 2 years ago. To date NO ACTION!

This is the only part of your post I will disagree with, the rest was spot on. In the 2 years since the first rally qwe have been able to get additional legislation introduced and additional sponsors to the legislation that exists.

The idea for this rally was to help push that legislation to the floor so it can be voted on.

The fact that even with a smaller turnout than last time we were able to significantly increase the number of legislators on our side (or at least claiming to be on our side...that's why we always watch the sponsor list on bills!) is a big deal.

Thanks to all who attended or tried to.

Dave A 03-22-2012 05:53 AM

I thought the rally was a success. We all would have liked to have seen a larger crowd but that's life. I was amazed at how many more Congressmen and Senators signed on to the 2 bills since the last rally. We all need to understand this is a process and unfortunately a slow one. We just need to keep fighting because we are right. On a negative note, I can't fully explain my disappointment in our own Congressmen and Senators. Neither Senator supports Sen Schumer's bill and only 2 of our Congressmen support Frank Pallone's bill. My own Congressman Chris Smith does not support it and won't even respond why. I WON'T be voting for him again. Thanks to all that found the rally important enough to take the time and go.

tropics 03-22-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay
I understand where your coming from, I as a fisherman do care, wish I was there supporting the cause. However, I have two kids in college and a mortgage to pay. I'm pretty sure, I speak for others.

Jay I understand working people with families have to do that. There were Party Boats out fishing yesterday!!
I was disappointed with the turn out, Mass had more speakers(4) then they had fisherman(0) from their state.

I like to thank everyone who showed up, all the speakers and everyone involved with getting this set up.

Art Berkman 03-22-2012 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My hat goes off to all those that showed up in DC Yesterday !!!

Capt Ron,Mate Robbie & Chris you guys are nuts :D

A Big thanks to Capt Tony Bogan !!!!

spyro 03-22-2012 07:56 AM

retired military 67-08 ... met some vets at the rally including our florida supporter ... what i saw yesturday was an eye opener ... spent the night looking for who could help ... made a letter which i have e-mailed and mailed this morning to all of concern and especially those i will see on my voting ballet come election time ... no fishing today ... can use some shuteye ... we need all support .... everyone doing their part ... and we defintely need to ... KEEP FISHERMEN FISHING ... :cool: