NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Winter Salmonids (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117442)

fishingbuddies 12-07-2021 08:23 PM

Winter Salmonids

5 Attachment(s)
Went out yesterday in Raw conditions to a very popular north jersey lake stocked with Salmonids. Trolled in 12 n 20 FOW. Had an amazing Double hook up. (Flicker shads acting as divers with rear hook removed instead put a BB swivel... 3 ft of flouro to a small spoon). The trout hit in 12FOW and as i stopped to reel in... the other rod went in 20FOW with the Landlocked running under the yak. Netted the trout then reeled the Salmon and scooped it up concurrently. Almost had a 3rd surface bitter as I dropped my lure in the water while unhooking n the wind drifted me. Whatever it was... it got off.
And that was within the 1st 20mins. Wind picked up and the rains came n the bite shut off. Got wet n cold so it was time to call it.

icebadger 12-07-2021 10:51 PM

Re: Winter Salmonids

Nice catches you got there and that trolling rig is cool as well. did you change the treble hook on that phoebe spoon to a feathered one ? It seems to have worked well for you, nice ride also..

Mikey topaz 12-08-2021 07:30 AM

Nice work!!that rig is very similar to how some shad sharpies fish in the boat... those trout and salmon are perfect and right where they should be for this time of year. Keep up the good work

fishingbuddies 12-08-2021 09:25 AM

Thx Gentlemen. Been trying different divers n trolling methods. Just started trolling a couple months back and it's fun learning techniques... rigging them... then executing. The reward is a few bent rods.
Yes.. I put a red feathered hook. I usually change my hooks to Red as I've read it gives the fish an actual target to strike. I don't know its its BS or not... but gotta try ya know.

akoop 12-08-2021 10:07 AM

Nice job!

bigfishy 12-08-2021 11:32 AM

Good work!! Nothin wrong with a solo twofer!!

Chrisper4694 12-08-2021 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishingbuddies (Post 565534)
Thx Gentlemen. Been trying different divers n trolling methods. Just started trolling a couple months back and it's fun learning techniques... rigging them... then executing. The reward is a few bent rods.
Yes.. I put a red feathered hook. I usually change my hooks to Red as I've read it gives the fish an actual target to strike. I don't know its its BS or not... but gotta try ya know.

I thought red was the hardest color for fish to see. It’s the first to ‘disappear’ as light is lower

FASTEDDIE29 12-08-2021 07:51 PM

Well done man. Using deep diving cranks is a great way to get your baits down to where the fish are without guessing. Just gotta know your speed. Awesome catch!!!:D