NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   hellagramites (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108948)

RWole 06-18-2019 12:49 PM

hellagramites

Does anyone know of a bait shop in the areas of northern/western N.J. OR
Eastern Pa. that sell Hellagramites. I know that with all the rain and high water its tough but worth a try. Thanks in advance.

AndyS 06-18-2019 01:06 PM

Re: hellagramites

Do you remember Wags !!! Oh my lord, the hellgramites he sold, mouth watering to say the least !!

Jhunter1 06-18-2019 01:43 PM

Highway on rt 31 has them a lot of times. Call first. I believe its illegal for bait shops to sell them in PA.

icebadger 06-18-2019 05:33 PM

if you can not find any bait stores that have them you can get them in small streams and rivers by turning over rocks you can use an old screen to get them. put the screen down stream from where you are flipping over the rocks and they get on the screen but be careful they have a mean bite. they are great bait for smallmouths. it is getting late in the season for them if you wait too long they turn into their adult stage usually the last two weeks in may into the middle of june is the best time to find them.. good luck

RichS 06-18-2019 05:40 PM

Stokes carried them years back. Man do they work on smallies.

Dave B. 06-18-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 532359)
Do you remember Wags !!! Oh my lord, the hellgramites he sold, mouth watering to say the least !!

I was very sad when Walt decided to retire and close the store. He bought his hellgies from a local guy who collected them. Occasionally I would drop him off several dozen when I had leftovers from a day of smallie banging.
Here's a bit of trivia for ya... the store name 'WAG' actually represented he and his wife's first initials, Walt And Georgia. Damned nice folks!

RWole 06-19-2019 06:41 AM

I usually do get them from the shop on rt 31. bu this high water is making it impossible. Pa. is allowed to sell the, I called Woherles yesterday but same deal with the high water. Hitting the Delaware next week for a float trip and they are a magical bait. Last year caught over 60 smallies over 3 days. WAG was awesome, do miss them.

Billfish715 06-19-2019 08:49 PM

For what it's worth........my son's friend used the Gulp Helgremites from Berkley on a float trip on the Delaware last year. He did very well with them rigged on a 1/4 oz jig head. In some slower runs, he used them under a slip bobber. His catch included many smallmouths and even a couple of stripers.
It's worth looking into.

Jhunter1 06-20-2019 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWole (Post 532421)
I usually do get them from the shop on rt 31. bu this high water is making it impossible. Pa. is allowed to sell the, I called Woherles yesterday but same deal with the high water. Hitting the Delaware next week for a float trip and they are a magical bait. Last year caught over 60 smallies over 3 days. WAG was awesome, do miss them.

From the looks of the projected water height by me I don't think hellgrammites will be your biggest problem if your going next week. And I wasn't sure about pa I never bought them here however I do catch around a thousand every year but this high water is ridiculous this year and last year. When the main rivers are high you can still get them in smaller rivers like the North Branch if your willing to put some time in. Good luck

RWole 06-20-2019 06:40 AM

i figured the river will be high and fast. How is the clarity? Hopefully it does not look like Yoo-Hoo drink.