NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Outboard Water Pumps..... (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108044)

Duffman 04-28-2019 03:36 PM

Outboard Water Pumps.....

3 Attachment(s)
When you guys replacing them? Just curious?

I typically run 70-80 hours per season. Last did the pump spring 2017. Had a little “mishap” in GKH 🤣 last year in the fall and sucked up sand.

Pulled it all apart yesterday to get a new kit in. Old stuff was pristine. Rubber pliable and housing and all other components looked good.

Flygaff 04-29-2019 06:58 AM

Re: Outboard Water Pumps.....

I replace my water pumps every three years. I have never had a pump issue

Gfedor 04-30-2019 06:58 AM

I've been blessed with a family friend who is a boat mech, every 2 years for me, I know overkill, but better safe then sorry. A guy I work with just did his after 5 yrs, he said all looked good and was still working great, go figure

Capt. Debbie 05-01-2019 10:48 AM

Funny. I must be blessed. KNOCK ON WOOD. I have never changed a factory water pump out of any of the three O/B's I've had. All Mercs of different sizes. 9.9, 20, and 25hps

The longest rum was a Mercury 20hp carb job from purchased new in the mid 1980's I sold in 2007. That O/B had over 20 seasons and I average about 55 hours per year. SO that's a 1000 hour motor.

Garage kept off season flushed religiously every time.

Maybe I'm lucky? Or they just run longer on smaller O/B's

Foul Hook 05-12-2019 06:53 PM

I understand your anguish. Impeller is still flexible but you have it apart and bought new kits , you kinda feel stuck. I usually go 3 yrs as long as its pissing good. Used after market pumps last year and when we went in this year to change seals we had to cut impellers off the shafts with a grinder. Lesson learned. Good luck.

hammer4reel 05-12-2019 07:22 PM

Very 2 years .
It’s worth the price of the kit to just do it and grease the shafts so they come apart easy .

Gerry Zagorski 05-12-2019 08:32 PM

2 years is pretty much standard practice...

bulletbob 05-13-2019 07:19 PM

A friend of mine worked on outboards at a repair shop.. he thought it was ridiculous and wasteful to replace a perfectly good pliable impeller every year or two.. I tend to agree, but to each his own.. You guys are usually in salt water, lots of sand, shell, etc, so i am probably jaded.. A pump up here in deep clear water lakes lasts practically forever... I always have old decrepit outboards anyway, so mine get replaced when they stop pumping properly.. I would think differently I suppose if I had 2 $20,000 outboards hanging on the transom.

Every 2-3 years under normal usage unless you tend to suck crap off the bottom a lot in your dock/launch area, and then every year is probably a better idea... bob

Capt. Debbie 05-14-2019 10:19 AM

Got decades on mine is all salt water. If it aint broke don't fix it. But mine are all Mercury and 25hp and less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulletbob (Post 530062)
A friend of mine worked on outboards at a repair shop.. he thought it was ridiculous and wasteful to replace a perfectly good pliable impeller every year or two.. I tend to agree, but to each his own.. You guys are usually in salt water, lots of sand, shell, etc, so i am probably jaded.. A pump up here in deep clear water lakes lasts practically forever... I always have old decrepit outboards anyway, so mine get replaced when they stop pumping properly.. I would think differently I suppose if I had 2 $20,000 outboards hanging on the transom.

Every 2-3 years under normal usage unless you tend to suck crap off the bottom a lot in your dock/launch area, and then every year is probably a better idea... bob

shrimpman steve 09-18-2019 01:02 PM

The impeller looks pinwheeled. New impeller looks like a star. Does this make a difference?