NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   D&R Canal South Bound Brook 1/19/19: (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107016)

AndyS 01-19-2019 02:49 PM

D&R Canal South Bound Brook 1/19/19:

8 Attachment(s)
Didn't make it to the fisheries meeting since plans changed and the weather cooperated. Annual clean up in South Bound Brook.

thmyorke1 01-19-2019 04:14 PM

Re: D&R Canal South Bound Brook 1/19/19:

Sweet cleanup. Perfect timing between two snow events.

AndyS 01-19-2019 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, place looks pretty good now. Where are all the walleye fishermen ???
We did a lot along the Raritan river as well.

JimmyL 01-19-2019 06:19 PM

thank you, sir
One of my goals is to get my first walleye outta there this winter/spring.

Jigman13 01-19-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyS (Post 523890)
Thanks, place looks pretty good now. Where are all the walleye fishermen ???
We did a lot along the Raritan river as well.

That was caught today?

Fishinfire 01-19-2019 10:39 PM

No Jigman. That was about 3 years ago in a completely different lock. I know because that is my old Ram in the background, that's my buddy Jim and I took that pic for him. Walleye fishing has been tough in the Canal. In fact, the D&R in SBB area has been pretty tough lately.

Jigman13 01-19-2019 11:40 PM

I know Jim. Met him this May runnin and gunnin on the raritan river.

The canal has been slow bc guys are keeping a lot of fish. Theres one guy who posts on social media and openly talks about taking all the eyes he catches...even the shorts.

thmyorke1 01-20-2019 09:14 AM

Yea the canal gets pounded, not rare to see people catching and keeping there. Along with a lot of catch and release anglers. In terms of illegally taking, CPOs are aware as I saw an officer there last year in the spring. They'd make a whole sweep, scanning every lock and access point.

Fishinfire 01-20-2019 10:06 AM

While I agree the Canal has been fished a little more in the past year, the fishing has been down for another reason.
As some may or may not know, the D&R was treated beginning a couple years ago for the invasive weed Hydrilla. I know it says that the treatment would not have a negative direct impact on the fish/wildlife but it has. Ever since treatment began there was a decline in vegetation each summer. This summer there was almost no grass/weeds that normally provide cover. I fish the canal almost daily since I live directly across the street from it. Have even lowered my gopro down for a look in places where previous years had sunnies surrounding it and pecking at the lens. Nothing! Even the pan fish bite has become very tough. I am hoping the toothie critters haven't decimated the populations since there was no place to hide!
And if I do see the short keepers, rest assured a call will be made to the CO's while they enjoy their swim!

AndyS 01-20-2019 12:36 PM

All answers are spot on correct ! Not only is the canal being treated for vegetation it is also be dredged further up. The amount of trees that were cut down along the canal is mind blowing ! All these trees provide cooling shade in the summer. Gonna be a tough couple of years for the good Ol' D&R with the ongoing dredging, not much we can do about it.