NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Friday night on the big D (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110362)

ALS Mako 09-21-2019 09:20 AM

Friday night on the big D

Got out last night; figure i would beat the weekend crowds with the nice weather we are supposed to have. Got to the river about 7:30. Pull up to the spot and there is someone leaving. Well walk down to the river and boy is it low. Think this is the lowest i have ever fished it. Cast around the usual spots and bam. First fish is a striper about 16 in. Quick pic and let him go. Water was so low was able to make my way up stream to areas usually not accessible. Got the right bite and landed a nice 20" class eye. Moved around some more and got rocked by a huge hit. Nearly pulled the rod out of my hand but never came tight. Man, i wonder what that fish was. Any way continue fishing and no love. Beavers were out in full force . Think i counted 3. Every time they tail slapped i'm thinking huge fish jumping..haha. any way make my way back to where i started and nail another nice 20" class eye. Fished for about 1/2 more and no takers. Happy with my 2 keeper eyes called it a night at 11:30. All fish caught on a shadow rap. No love on the swimshads and huskyjerks. Water was still warm and losts of weeds starting to die off. Can only get better from here on out.

ALS Mako 09-21-2019 09:26 AM

Re: Friday night on the big D

2 Attachment(s)
Pics

MasiJC 09-21-2019 01:47 PM

Nice
Do you bleed them before you put them on ice?

ALS Mako 09-21-2019 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasiJC (Post 537696)
Nice
Do you bleed them before you put them on ice?

Yep

AndyS 09-21-2019 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice !!

JDTuna 09-21-2019 10:55 PM

Nice man!

thmyorke1 09-22-2019 07:50 AM

Great night fishing! Hope these reports continue this fall

dakota560 09-22-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALS Mako (Post 537691)
Got out last night; figure i would beat the weekend crowds with the nice weather we are supposed to have. Got to the river about 7:30. Pull up to the spot and there is someone leaving. Well walk down to the river and boy is it low. Think this is the lowest i have ever fished it. Cast around the usual spots and bam. First fish is a striper about 16 in. Quick pic and let him go. Water was so low was able to make my way up stream to areas usually not accessible. Got the right bite and landed a nice 20" class eye. Moved around some more and got rocked by a huge hit. Nearly pulled the rod out of my hand but never came tight. Man, i wonder what that fish was. Any way continue fishing and no love. Beavers were out in full force . Think i counted 3. Every time they tail slapped i'm thinking huge fish jumping..haha. any way make my way back to where i started and nail another nice 20" class eye. Fished for about 1/2 more and no takers. Happy with my 2 keeper eyes called it a night at 11:30. All fish caught on a shadow rap. No love on the swimshads and huskyjerks. Water was still warm and losts of weeds starting to die off. Can only get better from here on out.

Great report. If you were fishing the stretch I think you were fishing I've seen some very large browns taken from there which is a definite possibilty at night. Could have been any number of fish since everything grows large in that river. Just going to have to go back and find out. Fall fishing is the best time of year! Good job, hope to make your acquaintance one day on the big river. Shadow Raps are great lures this time of year. imitate the millions of juvenile baby shad working their way back to the ocean.

FASTEDDIE29 09-22-2019 03:18 PM

The river hasn’t been this low in about 5 years. It’s super low. Those are some beautiful river Eyes buddy! Great fish!!!:D

JimmyL 09-23-2019 10:28 AM

Great way to spend a Friday night.