NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ambrose Tower (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116694)

Detour66 09-13-2021 08:43 PM

Ambrose Tower

1 Attachment(s)
Just found this pic my friend took of the tower while we where fishing the area in the mid 2000's??. I thought I would share it. Enjoy and tight lines!

Duffman 09-16-2021 03:55 PM

Re: Ambrose Tower

Nice pic.

If I remember right that was the second tower right? The original was hit and took out 1 of the 4 legs at some point?

Phoenixman 09-20-2021 09:47 PM

Duffman you are correct. first tower that replaced the lightship was hit and damaged and then hit again and then replaced with the second tower. Second tower was hit at least twice which is when the CG decided to replace with just a bouy which was moved from the original location tp give more sea room for the pilot transfer. Used to fish for whiting within site of the Texas Tower in the mid 60's. :)

Capt. Debbie 09-23-2021 12:22 PM

Texas Tower was an ABM site- Early warning System site in the early cold war with a canvas covered radar dome. There were anti missile missiles at Fort Hancock on Sandy Hook too. Nikes.

How old are you remembering chasing whiting 70 miles offshore? In the 1960's you'd get whiting just night fishing off of Long Branch fishing pier in the winter.

The memories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixman (Post 563126)
Duffman you are correct. first tower that replaced the lightship was hit and damaged and then hit again and then replaced with the second tower. Second tower was hit at least twice which is when the CG decided to replace with just a bouy which was moved from the original location tp give more sea room for the pilot transfer. Used to fish for whiting within site of the Texas Tower in the mid 60's. :)

Phoenixman 10-05-2021 03:36 PM

Capt Frank, You are correct. I said Texas Tower but meant Ambrose Tower. Texas Tower was ,as you pointed out was an early warning platform offshore that shook so badly it eventually collapsed in a storm.

Capt. Debbie 10-11-2021 03:29 PM

And one long ride. 90% of the way to the West Wall of Hudson Canyon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenixman (Post 563610)
Capt Frank, You are correct. I said Texas Tower but meant Ambrose Tower. Texas Tower was ,as you pointed out was an early warning platform offshore that shook so badly it eventually collapsed in a storm.

catsmeow 10-11-2021 08:56 PM

My brother-in-law did tours on the doomed platform luckily got done before the catastrophy.

Capt. Debbie 10-12-2021 11:06 AM

The going Sea lore was that it sunk, (or finally collapsed) during a storm. And that it took people with her.

Its supposed to be a great diving location albeit in about 200 feet of water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by catsmeow (Post 563768)
My brother-in-law did tours on the doomed platform luckily got done before the catastrophy.

Flygaff 10-12-2021 07:06 PM

I dove on the Texas Tower in the early 90s. Very impressive site to see underwater. The vis on the day I dove it was around 50-60 feet. Great dive for the Advanced Diver

dakota560 10-14-2021 09:11 AM

If I recall the story correctly, everyone on the tower that fateful night died which were 28 or 29 brave souls. They had it on radar, one second it was there, in a blink it was gone. Thought they said the structural supports which act as stabilizers to keep the platform from swaying were damaged when being towed to it's resting spot offshore. Apparently the tower was swaying so much, the storm so severe and waves so high they couldn't even launch an aerial rescue. Tragic event many today don't even know about. If memory serves me, the Texas Tower was one of 5 or 6 towers strategically placed up and down the coast to protect the US from attack.