NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Outboard vs Outboards Opinions Up (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86289)

RATS 01-20-2016 08:47 PM

Outboard vs Outboards Opinions Up

Currently older twin 150 smokers, gonna go 1 more season on them and then....

Option 1 Twin 4 stroke 4cyl 175hp roughly 985 lbs:

Benefits more power, 1 breaks on water have at least 1 to get home

Draw-backs twice the cost, more weight, more fuel, more maintenance

Option 2: Single 4 stroke 6cyl 300hp roughly 600lbs:

Benefits less $$ upfront and use cost, less weight, increase in distance per tank

Draw Backs of course having 1 motor during a breakdown

So add to the lists above.
I have decided on the brand and that is not part of the discussion.

RATS 01-20-2016 08:50 PM

Re: Outboard vs Outboards Opinions Up

Those are dry weights

Gerry Zagorski 01-20-2016 09:10 PM

If I could get away with one engine instead of two that's the way I'd go. That and towing insurance if you do happen to break down.

Gerry Zagorski 01-21-2016 07:27 AM

Some other things to consider

- 1 + 1 does not equal 2 when it comes to engines. A single 300 horsepower engine will run circles around twin 150s and get better fuel economy too. The extra weight and drag from the 2nd engine is what causes this.

- There are things like bad fuel that can cause both engines not to work so having 2 is not always a fail safe.

- If you loose one engine, your boat is not likely going to able to get up on plane on one, so you are still in for a slow ride home

Charlie B 01-21-2016 07:56 AM

There is a third option. One big motor and a small kikker with it's own fuel tank. It could get you home. Not very fast but better than nothing. Could also be good for slow trolling...Charlie

Capt. Debbie 01-21-2016 10:06 AM

How big is the boat?

A single 300hp on a 20+ footer cuddy is a decent speed. On the most perfect of days may even hit near 30 MPH ( not knots).

And as pointed out, a single O/B means no backup means towing insurance or a kicker.

Advantage is only 1/2 the maintenance costs. A BIG PLUS

Charlie B 01-21-2016 02:51 PM

Towing ins. is a good idea no matter what you have. You never know what can happen out there...Charlie

RATS 01-21-2016 07:17 PM

Never been on the water with out Tow Ins.

Boat is a 25 ft center console. A single with a 4 blade prop is do-able from everything I have read.

I know it sounds silly but holeshots and top speed are not a concern. I will rarely have more than 5 in the boat also, usually 2.

Biggest concern is getting up on plane but from what I have read the right prop and hydrafoils will eliminate that concern.

As much as I would love to hit blue water I do not see that with this boat and hopefully my job takes me to South Carolina coast in 2 years.

Keep the opinions coming please. And I am going with Suzuki

Charlie B 01-22-2016 08:10 AM

Displacement speed for a boat that size is about 6 mph. and a 15 hp. kicker will probably get you that speed in most if not all sea conditions without running at full throttle. The big plus would be the very slow trolling speed you would be able to get at a very low fuel burn. Think power drifting for fluke without bumping in and out of gear. Or trolling all day on very little fuel. An other benefit to think about is if the kicker has electric start and an alternator and if you have a dead battery you could start the kicker by hand to charge your battery enough to get the big motor started...Charlie

Capt. Debbie 01-22-2016 11:02 AM

Don't need hydra foils on the cavitation plate with a working trim adjustment. It severely weakens the cavitation plate.

We had one tow boat was a 24 footer with cuddy cabin (Privateer) running off a single 200hp Yamaha O/B . Did speeds in the mid to high 20's.

With a kicker, there's a lot of drag with the other O/B down. Also you must consider steering with the kicker running boat. I'd jgo with gas over electric for that size boat and simplicity.

With towing insurance all is not lost. Just inconvenienced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RATS (Post 434209)
Never been on the water with out Tow Ins.

Boat is a 25 ft center console. A single with a 4 blade prop is do-able from everything I have read.

I know it sounds silly but holeshots and top speed are not a concern. I will rarely have more than 5 in the boat also, usually 2.

Biggest concern is getting up on plane but from what I have read the right prop and hydrafoils will eliminate that concern.

As much as I would love to hit blue water I do not see that with this boat and hopefully my job takes me to South Carolina coast in 2 years.

Keep the opinions coming please. And I am going with Suzuki