NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2013 FLuke Regulations (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56876)

Gerry Zagorski 03-04-2013 11:00 PM

2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Thanks to Angler Paul for posting this below... I thought a poll would help.
2012 regs were 5 fish @ 17.5 inches May 5 September 28

SaltLife1980 03-04-2013 11:05 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Number 5.. 18in and 5 fish. from May 18 September 26.. 132 days is the way to go.. Long season..

Blackfish Doug 03-05-2013 06:59 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
I like option 4 going into October when the bigger fish are around is much better. As for 17 1/2" last year almost all of my keepers were 18" or better. I really didn't see that it made a reel difference in the keepers. Also I think almost all those 17 1/2" by August are keepers anyway. But I guess we probably will get out voted like last year by that small group from Cape May anyway who want that smaller fish.

arat 03-05-2013 07:25 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Everyone is picking 5 cause of the "longer season" you realize its only one day longer than option 4 right. One day and it will go into October there is is debate here as to which option we should want

Jay 03-05-2013 07:34 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
It doesn't really matter what we want. It's up to the committee. Of course, they will choose the opposite us Fishermen would like. Longer the season the better! We'll see.

Gerry Zagorski 03-05-2013 08:11 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
I like the longest season possible.... The more days I have with options of what I can fish for the better.

SaltLife1980 03-05-2013 08:11 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by arat
Everyone is picking 5 cause of the "longer season" you realize its only one day longer than option 4 right. One day and it will go into October there is is debate here as to which option we should want


Not just because its a longer season.. its the date it runs from as well.. A lot of the door mats are around in Sept.. and by Oct its Fall run time for bass.. so that choice i believe the best for us charter/party boat guys.. it lets us fish for bass into may and switch back by Oct.. I know a lot of people love to Bass fish but i think just as many or even more enjoy fluke fishing

broken bobber 03-05-2013 09:19 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
torn between 4 and 5..... chose 4 for the later date, not because bigger fish are more abundant (which i disagree with) but because it prolongs the season to help in the switchover to other species.... cant believe number 3 is leading i assume because of the 1/2 inch difference that is supposedly helping the head boat anglers out :confused:

bender 03-05-2013 10:24 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
earlier the better

Leif 03-05-2013 10:45 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
What Happened to eight fish at 18 inches and fish from May 7 to Sept. 25. in 2011??? That was nice...

Oh I remember.....we thought it was better in 2012 to have a smaller fish limit and give up some fish...right?

Now we have a 5 fish "choice" actually we don't have any choice in the matter do we?

Things we ponder before clicking the button...

The little ones get killed getting to the big ones?
What is best for the Party Boats?
What is best for the Charters?
Who cares about the Surf and Jetty guys?
What happens to the other species when the season is too short?
Why do the comercial guys get to keep the little ones??(we know the answer)

And on and on.....Tired of it...


Just a little grumpy today!

Leif

SaltLife1980 03-05-2013 10:48 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Take a look at this.. Maybe we will get our 18in and 8 fish back

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/c...9bb2963f4.html

jmurr711 03-05-2013 10:53 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Do we know the Sea Bass regs yet thats what would sway me 1 way or the other. Although i have no stake in the business end, i have to many friends in the business and there well being is what comes first to me anymore when it comes to regulaions. They need to be able to target something when they put there boats in the water.

tropics 03-05-2013 10:59 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
I liked #4 it gives more time to the B&Ts as well as to the boats Charter, PB, and the recreational guys, they get the extra weekend in.

GDubya07 03-05-2013 11:14 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Stayed at 5 - No problem - let me know when the season begins and ends

G-:cool:

Angler Paul 03-05-2013 11:14 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
The sea bass regs are still up in the air. The options will probably not be ready for this Thursday's meeting as originally anticipated. This is due in part to the recent 1/2 million lb. increase that was approved by the ASMFC for the recreational sector less than two weeks ago. We were looking at a 42-53% reduction but now it will be a 32% reduction. That will cause us to have a greatly reduced season unless the size limit is raised to 13". My best gues is that there will be a mid season closure either way. It will be much shorter if we raise the size limit though. Most of us support the mid-season closure so that it can re-open and we will be able to fish for sea bass after fluke season closes.

Reelron 03-05-2013 01:44 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltLife1980
Take a look at this.. Maybe we will get our 18in and 8 fish back

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/c...9bb2963f4.html


Just my suspicious nature, but I believe this would be one step away from a cost wide limit, or at the very least an area limit.

dreamon 03-05-2013 03:35 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
You'll get what they want [the gov] to give you :D

captain george angler 03-05-2013 04:40 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
There is no doubt that the Jersey shore will be hurting this year after Sandy and I know we have not made any money since the fluke season closed. I was all for the season opening on May 4th and running till Sept 29th. Now this is not even an option. The 17 1/2 inch size limit last year did nothing for business. The clowns on the fish and game council could care less about the rod and reel anglers or the industry that makes a living from them. This is bull sh** that each year we have to go through this same circus with the same clowns. It is an election year and maybe we should ask the Governor for a longer season.

I am not a doom and gloom person and I take each day as it comes but I have a bad feeling about this fishing season. I think Sandy did more than most think. Ling fishing was way off, few cod and the first time ever NO mackerel. Sea bass and porgies were good off shore so maybe we will have to wait.

Go to the meeting. Thanks captain George

Blackfish Doug 03-05-2013 05:18 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
[ Most of us support the mid-season closure so that it can re-open and we will be able to fish for sea bass after fluke season closes.[/QUOTE]

I don't support this at all remember last year we got screwed major. They said Mass went over their quota like they probably will do again & who gets the shorter end of the stick we do. Last year Fluke closed & Sea Bass fishing never opened. I don't think most of the Sea Bass fisherman support this at all not after last year.

Striper Nick 03-05-2013 05:33 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
i like # 2. Hopefully the regs will be up soon

JayO 03-05-2013 06:32 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
I would do very well with the size of fluke in late Sept when NJ/NY seasons overlapped in the past. When NJ ends early in Sept, it always seems like a long month until the bass arrive and I can see the NY guys drifting Ambrose... :rolleyes:

Angler Paul 03-05-2013 08:21 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
This is part of what I posted on the other thread I initiated.

The option I liked best would have been for a season that ran from 5/4-9/29 with an 18 size limit and a 5 fish bag limit. That would have resulted in a 149 day season. Despite the fact that this option was approved by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Council, it was removed from the list of those that will make it to the public hearing.

I mentioned that we are more likely to underfish our quota this year as there will be far less participation. This is due to the fact that many of our marinas, private boats and coastal homes were devastated by Hurricane Sandy.

Pete 03-05-2013 09:46 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reelron
Just my suspicious nature, but I believe this would be one step away from a cost wide limit, or at the very least an area limit.

Great observation! A wolf in sheeps clothing if ever there was one. If there is one thing we definitely don't need is an area wide limit. I'll take the NJ regs., no matter how dismal the options may seem and stand on our own, Thank You.

Fishfish 03-06-2013 11:43 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
So interesting that the pro 18" fish is represented by the majority of written comments posted on this thread. Of most and more interest is the clear majority and representation in the members approval (as per this poll) for the 17.5" fish. The poll shows twice as many favor the 17.5" fish. As of this result 40 have voted for #3 and the and half as many, only 20, voted for the larger fish. Hmm! While we must appreciate all interest and opinion, majority and Democracy has spoken. Number #3 has it.

Angler Paul 03-06-2013 03:47 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
That is very true but another thing that the polls show is that about 70% of those polled favor a season that ends no later than 9/22. I hope one of the administrators from this site will go to the NJMFC meeting and make both those points.

SaltyAngler 03-07-2013 11:13 AM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Are the regulations going to be chosen today?

Quote:

Whichever options are approved by the ASMFC will then go to the New Jersey Marine Fisheries Council, from which council members will vote to enact one of the options as the official regulations for the 2013 season.

The Marine Fisheries Council is scheduled to make that determination March 7 at 4 p.m. at the Galloway Township Library, Jimmie Leeds Road, Galloway.
SOURCE

SaltLife1980 03-07-2013 12:07 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
What does not make any sense is that people are voting for one of the choices that is a shorter season.. Id rather go up 1/2in and get 30 more days out of it then keep it at 17 1/2 with a shorter season.. I dont think we kept a 17 1/2 fish all season last year.. Like a few people stated.. It did not do any help at all..

SaltLife1980 03-07-2013 04:23 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
AND... This meeting should be on a weekend when more people can attend.. Not at 4pm on a Thursday..

Jay 03-07-2013 04:44 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltLife1980
AND... This meeting should be on a weekend when more people can attend.. Not at 4pm on a Thursday..


Couldn't agree with you more. I work in NYC. By the time, I get home it's already 7pm. If these meeting were held later time or in the weekends, I would definitely attend.

Gerry Zagorski 03-07-2013 04:58 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaltLife1980
What does not make any sense is that people are voting for one of the choices that is a shorter season.. Id rather go up 1/2in and get 30 more days out of it then keep it at 17 1/2 with a shorter season.. I dont think we kept a 17 1/2 fish all season last year.. Like a few people stated.. It did not do any help at all..

I'm with you Jimmy, but for a slightly different reason... Being a hack like I am, it doesn't matter what the size limit is. I just want a longer season because I think it would be good for businesses and for people who want to have more choices on any given day as to what they can fish for. Longer Season = More Choices.

Last pole we did in 2012 favored larger fish and longer season. Not sure why the change of heart http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43811

tropics 03-07-2013 05:15 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
I believe the 17.5" fish last year helped getting some kids to catch keepers on PB!! At 18" I seen and heard people getting off boats with the kids that did not want to go again, to throw every thing back.IMHO
I voted for option 4 because it will help the businesses down the shore they need all the support they can get.

SaltLife1980 03-07-2013 05:30 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay
Couldn't agree with you more. I work in NYC. By the time, I get home it's already 7pm. If these meeting were held later time or in the weekends, I would definitely attend.


Yea by the time I get home and get cleaned up its 530-6pm.. It doesnt make sense.. If they wanted a larger turn out and more people to speak their mind they would have it at a time/day that works for most of us working people.. I think we would have a much better season/bag limit if more of us could go.. Granted they dont care what we think but at least they would have to listen to us for hours on end.. lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
I'm with you Jimmy, but for a slightly different reason... Being a hack like I am, it doesn't matter what the size limit is. I just want a longer season because I think it would be good for businesses and for people who want to have more choices on any given day as to what they can fish for. Longer Season = More Choices.

Last pole we did in 2012 favored larger fish and longer season. Not sure why the change of heart http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43811

I totally agree with you Gerry.. I want to longest season we can get.. It helps the Party boats, charter boats, and bait shops big time.. I dont mind the 18in size limit but give us a long season at least..

Skolmann 03-07-2013 05:42 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Heard option #2 won.

tropics 03-07-2013 05:46 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Yea by the time I get home and get cleaned up its 530-6pm.. It doesnt make sense.. If they wanted a larger turn out and more people to speak their mind they would have it at a time/day that works for most of us working people.. I think we would have a much better season/bag limit if more of us could go.. Granted they dont care what we think but at least they would have to listen to us for hours on end.. lol.

Jeff I agree that the time and day of the meeting sucks. as for more voices I think they should listen to the facts about the stocks and flawed science. yes the more audience you get the better the chance of getting things done, this they know and want to keep the group down to minimal amounts.

SaltLife1980 03-07-2013 05:54 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
I agree Richie.. they need more people like you on the board to talk some sense into em!

sternline 03-07-2013 07:29 PM

Re: 2013 FLuke Regulations
 
Starting at ending later is better because stripers are still running in late May. I voted for #3 because on party boats there are better chances of folks going home with some fish at 17.5 inches. I sure had a number of fish just shy of 18 inches last year.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.