NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Twins VS Single Debate (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94641)

Abrasion 01-20-2017 09:51 PM

Twins VS Single Debate

I agonized a lot over whether to go from two outboards to one. This video helped a lot. Listen to what all 4 of the manufacturers' reps say. This video pushed me firmly into a big single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2s2e3uDWGk

Flygaff 01-21-2017 08:13 AM

Re: Twins VS Single Debate

I have a 25 center with thin 175 Optis. I had a lower unit go 72 miles offshore. I was happy to have twins at that time. It took 7 hours to get back, but I did make it back without any issues or a tow. Just something to consider.

Capt. Lou 01-21-2017 08:45 AM

Twins always better than one , inshore I agree on one ,offshore it's. It not always engine failure , hitting something can make for a long day .
Only thing I can add is if ur mechanically inclined that's a big plus , I know guys that blew an engine came home on other one .
Engines today are supposedly very good , that being said I had three pairs of Mercs over 20 seasons on them combined in 70 - 80's era anything that ever stopped me was external , so I needed second engine ,engines with proper maintenance always ran great & I chartered in those days .

Mako1 01-21-2017 09:27 AM

Twins are always better than single, but like everything else, it all depends on your pocketbook. If money is an issue I rather have an almost new smaller boat with a single OB, instead of a larger older twin boat that will eventually become a big money pit.

Charlie B 01-21-2017 10:48 AM

Not a simple decision. Cost wise a single would most likely win out and if weight on the transome is a concern it is probably the lightest. Possibly the fastest and most fuel efficient. Twins would have the advantage in get you home reliability. Even more so if they have separate battery and fuel systems. They are said to have better maneuverability and if slow trolling is important can be run with one motor off. One other advantage is shallow water running. On a single the lower unit has to be below the deepest point on the bottom. With twins the motors are offset to a shallower part of the bottom and being smaller motors would have smaller lower units and props. There is another option. Big single with a smaller kicker motor. A good setup for slow trolling and to get you home if problems with main motor. Slowly but it will get you there. Not a simple decision but depends on how you want to use the boat...Charlie

BCinerie 01-21-2017 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I fish the Great Lakes , I went with a single
300hp and a 20hp kicker. I am rarely
More the. 10miles from shore and usually only 20
Or 30
Min from the dock.

Gerry Zagorski 01-21-2017 10:17 PM

Bottom line after owning many boats.. If you fish inshore most of the time, occasionally go offshore, you can keep your horsepower within 75% of the max your boat with one engine, and are diligent about maintenance, a single is the way to go.

Abrasion 01-22-2017 11:06 AM

sea tow coverage is a lot cheaper than a second motor

Charlie B 01-22-2017 11:50 AM

Yes and a second motor is not always a sure bet to get you home...Charlie

Capt. Debbie 01-23-2017 11:14 AM

True that. And the maintenance on one is less, and likely even more so since Preventive Maintenance("PM") is more affordable. Throw stuff out BEFORE it breaks.

Low front end costs, more PM expended, and LESS things to break and have to fix (K-I-S-S Principle)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abrasion (Post 472681)
sea tow coverage is a lot cheaper than a second motor