NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/index.php)
-   NJFishing.com Boating (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   NWS Earle...... (https://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109054)

Duffman 06-24-2019 08:36 AM

NWS Earle......

1 Attachment(s)
What’s up with the restricted zone? I remember a patrol boat constantly cruising the perimeter. This season, especially yesterday, I’ve seen boats traveling thru it and a few drifting in it. Not a patrol to be seen.

Have the restrictions changed/become more lax?

Capt. Debbie 06-24-2019 10:30 AM

Re: NWS Earle......

No, they are still there. But no consistency. More absences on weekends than on sentry duty this year.

Patrol with nothing at the docks. And often ship at the dock and no patrol boat.

Walleyed 06-26-2019 08:05 AM

This past Sunday, I saw what looked to be a 28' express of some sort steam right across the restricted zone at the end of the pier. No patrol boat came out, but I did here them getting yelled at over a hailer.

BigRock44 06-27-2019 09:18 PM

2 years ago i was stopped by a state police boat as we were cruising by the pier. man he came in hot at us like we had a boatload of terrorists or something! :eek: he checked my boating certificate and state i.d. and explained that they were currently loading ordnance onto one of the ships. thought i was far out enough but upon reviewing my gps i did see we were in the restricted zone. i remember years ago fishing a skiff for fluke pretty darn close in and never being bothered. times have changed...

Duffman 07-06-2019 03:24 AM

Well......huge difference 2 weeks makes...cruised past yesterday and patrol boat was flying like a bunch of kids stole a ride!

....and if someone can help me out here.....wasnt the pier decommissioned and passed on to civilian operation? Thought I read/heard that somewhere??? If thats the case then what exactly are they protecting in the restricted zone?

Reelron 07-06-2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 533549)
Well......huge difference 2 weeks makes...cruised past yesterday and patrol boat was flying like a bunch of kids stole a ride!

....and if someone can help me out here.....wasnt the pier decommissioned and passed on to civilian operation? Thought I read/heard that somewhere??? If thats the case then what exactly are they protecting in the restricted zone?

No, the base has not been decommissioned, still owned and operated bu the U.S Navy.

https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cn...nd_vision.html

Duffman 07-06-2019 11:33 AM

Ron, I could have sworn I heard/read a few years ago the base on land was still operating but the pier itself was being run by civilians and no longer loading boats?

Could be wrong but pier looks no where near as busy as it once was. I remember seeing the Shamrock busses running up the pier all day long. Looks like a ghost town now.

june181901 07-07-2019 06:13 PM

The ships that are assigned there are USNS ships and the vast majority of the crews are civilian employees of the US Navy. The Shamrock buses you recall were transporting Navy sailors from the ships to shore and back to the ships. That was when the ships were designated as USS ships and had all military crews. Because of the high cost of living here in northeast Monmouth County the sailors were hard pressed to find affordable housing, by redesignating the ships as USNS ships they relieved most of the sailors, hired civilian crews and ameliorated a morale problem.
FWIW the Navy Exchange and barber shop that was on the pier have closed much to my chagrin. I now have to go to the Colts Neck main side facility for my adult beverages.

Duffman 07-08-2019 07:34 PM

Awesome explanation June thank you.

Just wish the public had some access close to pier like we did in the 80’s and 90’s.......I know there’s gotta be some crazy big fish under that structure.

Reelron 07-09-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 533656)
Awesome explanation June thank you.

Just wish the public had some access close to pier like we did in the 80’s and 90’s.......I know there’s gotta be some crazy big fish under that structure.

Fished off the pier back in the late '70's, early '80's, thanks to my Brother-in-law who is a disabled Vietnam Vet. We caught many large Stripers (my largest was 35#) and some good fluke during that time.:) The striper fishing was so good we actually had a livewell set up in the back of his pickup!

Security tightened and we moved on to other types of fishing. :( I understand that now you can get permission to fish the pier again.

Of course there are big fish lurking just where you can't reach them! :D