PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for those of you in AH Marina

Gerry Zagorski
09-29-2016, 08:29 PM
Just got a call from a friend who has a boat slipped in the Atlantic Highlands marina... They called to tell him his boat was sitting low and he should come down and take a look and then called him back on his way there and said it was under.

It's apparently pretty rough in the harbor with white caps and I'm sure the new moon tide didn't help any either.

If you have a boat down there you might want to check it. :(

Irish Jigger
09-29-2016, 08:35 PM
It's bad Gerry just came back and the high tide is insane!!!!!!

Gerry Zagorski
09-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Well good luck to everyone in there Jigger. Seems like the boats that are out at the end of the peers and closest to the Ferry opening are the most at risk.

Hunter 2
09-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Not good, very high tide tonight. Had to take my shoes off to get to my truck in Keyport. Water was up to the rims like 8:10pm

hammer4reel
09-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Got the same call.
Sucks for those involved

fin_s_guy
09-30-2016, 08:36 AM
Sorry to hear George

Gerry Zagorski
09-30-2016, 04:38 PM
I learned a valuable lesson in the past when this happened to me...If your boat is worth anything have it insured, especially if you keep it in a slip.

2 kinds of policies, Agreed to or Actual Cash Value. Actual Cash means you are insured up to the blue book and Agreed to Value means you assign a value to it. So if you've done a lot of work to your boat and think it's worth more then blue book then the Agreed to Value is the way you want to go.

You also need to be sure you have some sort a salvage service and environmental clean up provisions in the policy. This way you don't have to pay for recovery or any environment issues like gas or oil clean up which can also be costly.

If you don't have insurance I'd recommend you look into it and give our sponsor Vito a call

MM Insure (848) 863-6800 ext 1002.

NoLimit
09-30-2016, 09:59 PM
Whats up with letting a boat go under? With all the money they make, the marina should have a couple $80 sump pumps they can throw into a boat until the owner can get down.

Gerry Zagorski
10-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Whats up with letting a boat go under? With all the money they make, the marina should have a couple $80 sump pumps they can throw into a boat until the owner can get down.

Probably a liability issue..... This is a municipal marina and you know how government works :rolleyes:

hammer4reel
10-01-2016, 09:34 AM

I agree, my marina was doing exactly that yesterday afternoon.
as there was a boat whose pumps had fried.
The put two pumps in and he is safe and sound.

Much better to throw a pump in , than have an epa clean up to deal with .
especially the AH whose slip prices are through the roof.

NoLimit
10-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Probably a liability issue..... This is a municipal marina and you know how government works :rolleyes:

Or doesnt work (Go Trump)

Capt. Debbie
10-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Gerry is right. It is a liability issue. Once you undertake a rescue operation like that you, CAN NOT quit until relieved. The legal thinking is that others may have engaged in the rescue BUT did not because you were there already doing the rescue.

It's an unwanted and potentially costly onus..

QUOTE=Gerry Zagorski;462707]Probably a liability issue..... This is a municipal marina and you know how government works :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

John D.
10-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Why couldn't the marina have you sign a waiver for this service? Would the insurance companies really have an issue with this? Unless is become a scope/scale issue--on a bad storm, probably can't get to all the boats so how do you pick some and not others or none at all? It's sad the answer has to be just let them all sink.

NoLimit
10-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Capt. Frank

If the boat is just low in the water it's not a "rescue". Plus with all the boiler plate in the contract they can easily add one to say that throwing a sump pump on the deck does not constitute a rescue