PDA

View Full Version : Support you local tackle shops!

Islander II
03-26-2015, 05:39 AM
And here is why. I went to Atlantic Bait and Tackle the other day. Pete offered me a cup of coffee and a bagel. Sat to talk to him for a bit. A guy and his son walk in holding a Penn battle 4000 and a plastic bag. He had dropped the reel that morning and broke the entire bail assembly off the reel. He was leaving for the Keys the next day and knew he couldn't get it repaired in time for the trip. Pete goes in the back, grabs a new 4000, swaps spools, takes his name and number, and tells him to enjoy his vacation. Point is, you couldn't get that over the Internet or from Bass Pro. These are the guys that provide you with knowledge, suggestions, fishing reports, fresh bait, and customer satisfaction. Please support your local, brick and mortar tackle shops!

hartattack
03-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Nice story - Cancun Pete can't be beat !! He's Aces in my book :)

shrimpman steve
03-26-2015, 08:00 AM
Pete is tops. No doubt

Joey Dah Fish
03-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Agreed our local tackle shops need and deserve our support. They earn it every single day starting at 5am until when ever. Some times even earlier. They truely are the snchor to our sport. If you wanna call it a sport more like a hobby. So please visit spend some of the hard earned Ching with them. They are worth every penny. You can bitch and moan all you want about some prices but if they don't get our support and disappear you sport (hobby) disappears with them.

Gerry Zagorski
03-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Exactly - If you want them there for you, you need to be there for them.

bunker dunker
03-26-2015, 11:22 AM
2nd-3rd & 4th that.
uncle pete is the best!!

dfish28
03-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Best is its always 85 and sunny at his shop!!

the directa
03-26-2015, 01:00 PM
best is its always 85 and sunny at his shop!!

well said

NJ Dave
03-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Customer service comes with a price. 50 cents more here and there is really no big deal for the price of there extra service.
One of my local shops in north jersey after 100+ years is closing there doors soon as well.
The funny thing is if you are a regular at these local places they generally give you a discount so in reality they are actually probably cheaper anyway.
Im going to miss this place shopping there for 30 years.
Sucks but big box stores take over day after day.

UglyStick
03-26-2015, 02:16 PM
One of my local shops in north jersey after 100+ years is closing there doors soon as well.

Which Northern NJ shop is closing?

SSS
03-26-2015, 03:38 PM
Favors Pete did for us "out of town" anglers were mind bothering sometimes. I didn't buy much from him but I brought over a few Johnny Walki@.

Billfish715
03-26-2015, 09:34 PM
Customer service comes with a price. 50 cents more here and there is really no big deal for the price of there extra service.
Im going to miss this place shopping there for 30 years.
Sucks but big box stores take over day after day.

100+ years? Newark Sinker/Fairfield Sporting Goods has been around for a long, long time. That was the only store I know that might have come close but not 100+ years. The guys who were there when it moved from Newark were incredible. Frank, Adrian, and Clarence really knew their stuff. That was another place that would do rod and reel repairs. I know they would take a damaged reel in from a customer and if it was an emergency, they would take a reel out of a box and replace the damaged part with a part from a new reel without having the customer go through the warranty hassle. They did the same with rods too.

Capt Sal
03-27-2015, 01:09 AM
Pete always does us right. Always open early and has what you need. Not all tackle shops are like that. I refuse to get ripped off and will drive extra miles for that reason. Notice that the one on 35 is not open early? :rolleyes:

jenny lee sportfishing
03-27-2015, 05:32 AM
i can't tell you how many times in the past 20 years i had to call dave at the reel seat from offshore with an issue, spooled reels, broken reels, bitten off spreader bars, etc. in every instance he would drop whatever and fix my stuff so that i could leave the next morning. in most cases i didn't get in until 4pm.

many times he would leave the stuff outside in a secret hiding spot, which now with the new store, hmmmm.

the point, can you save a few bucks elsewhere, i suppose so.. due to the fact that for 40 years i was in a service business, i spend my money at small family owned shops, and always will.

rubberheels
03-27-2015, 07:41 AM
I would like to have all the money I spent at Fishermans Supply in P.P. Also at Reel Life!

Two Captains
03-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Pete at Atlantic Bait goes above and beyond. I've witnessed his generosity many times. I've seen him sell a cooler and fill it with ice, sell a reel and fill it with line, to name a few. It's all about the personal service and being there for your needs when you need. On the other hand I've also watched as he bought / brought in expensive flats of worms and numerous bags of clams by request and in reserve before weekends for professional and recreational boats. And many times having to choke on them after a charter didn't show up or trips were canceled which were out of his control and not his problem. Take care of the little guy so he can and will take care of you. Don't and the little guy goes away. That goes for more than just Pete! Alan Jackson wrote a song about it. Last thought, If your buying elsewhere regularly (and that's fine) and show up to get bailed out you can't expect to get rock bottom prices or treated like a regular. It's not rocket science. My Two Cents!

Tomg1324
03-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Pete has always done the right thing by me and is extremely helpful.
In addition his prices are competitive and you never have to worry about the cost of shipping :D

loosescrews
03-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Last spring I go to Pete to tell him about a lure we used on my buddy's boat that he got out of state. Not only did he order me one but had a whole rack of them at the shop the next week... Last week I dropped off a custom rod we got from reel seat that had a broken reel seat go figure. Anyway it's going back to the builder to get fixed for free no questions asked... Top notch.

Fairfield Fishing Tackle
03-28-2015, 08:02 AM
I know nothing of the rumors, but I know a little about Newark Sinker. Started in 1913 in Newark, changed names in 1959 to Fairfield Sporting Goods when they moved to Fairfield.

Now known as Fairfield Fishing Tackle located in Pine Brook, we are very much alive and well. Come and visit us to see all of our new inventory for both freshwater and saltwater fishing. Fully stocked for trout season opening on April 4th.

Thanks, Cheryl
FFT

Walleyed
03-28-2015, 08:19 AM
I know nothing of the rumors, but I know a little about Newark Sinker. Started in 1913 in Newark, changed names in 1959 to Fairfield Sporting Goods when they moved to Fairfield.

Now known as Fairfield Fishing Tackle located in Pine Brook, we are very much alive and well. Come and visit us to see all of our new inventory for both freshwater and saltwater fishing. Fully stocked for trout season opening on April 4th.

Thanks, Cheryl
FFT

Just a note for those of us up north...these guys are great!

Scrubby
03-28-2015, 08:51 AM
I go to Pete's shop pretty often in the spring and summer and I just started going to Fairfield tackle and I think both shops are fantastic. I support local shops as often as I can.

Joey Dah Fish
03-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Was down by the boat today stopped in to see Pete. It was 80 degrees and sunny of course. Picked up some gulp and hooks for tomorrow. As usual we talk crap and busted balls as spliced a couples guys lines and spooled their reels. Great seeing you Pete will being seeing quite a bit more of you as the weather starts to warm and the boat gets splashed.