PDA

View Full Version : Jumping swords & flying makos on board of Russian Roulette

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 09:16 AM
With all the Hudson canyon reports of great fishing decided to jump on Russian Roulette with Cpt.Denis to get out and get some tuna. Nice crew of guys .Frenchie ,Luke ,Joe and his friend John and yours truly.Left the inlet at 11.00am on Saturday morning only to find out from a few boats that Hudson bite has really slowed down so Cpt. says we will try a different spot . After a short 4 hour ride on a perfect seas we get to the spot and start trolling after about an hour we get a knockdown and the line is screaming .Bam !!!! 90lb Yellow fin in the boat .Trolled a little more ,nothing .Started to set up for the night .Around 12am had a nice bite ,sword fish .Joe grabs the rod and starts fighting it thanks to quick response from Cpt.Denis who harpoons it .As harpoon went in the fish spits the hook . 120lber in the boat.Next 3.5 hours nothing. Lots of life around us but no takers then as magic hour get closer things start happening.First we see a swordfish jumping around the boat ?? After a third jump sword goes down grabs the bait and fish on. Joe "the rod horder" lol grabs the rod again and this sword was crazy it just takes off ,never had a chance to pull the rods out so 4 lines tangled with the sword . Well it was not a good night for the sword .110 lber in the boat . 20 min later another sword bite .I grab the rod try to muscle the fish in and 150lb leader breaks . If anybody catches a sword with a glow stick ,we want the glow stick back. So one of the guys leaves a jig in the water and before we know it a mako pup grabs it and starts doing jumps in front of the boat after 5 min it breaks off ,again we want our PBJ back if someone hooks into it .lol
The sun starts to come up and we go back on the troll again .Before you know 2 nice long fins in the boat .So we are thinking maybe time to go home. Cpt.Denis says NO we need to put more meat in the box .Frenchie notices Tuna breaking water ,we had straight for them and 3 knockdown .I get mine in 45LB long fin ,Luke gets his in another 40lber but Joe has a beast on that's taking line . Big fish we are thinking YFT or Big eye .After a nice fight Joe brings it in and it's a 67lb long fin ,9lbs shy of state record and then we decide to head in .Stopped by Hoffmans marina to weight in the long fin to make sure . Nice trip with a really nice bunch of guys . New mate Rob did not sleep for 28hours straight making sure he was always there for us.Thank you Cpt.Denis for another great trip .:) As ssoon as I figure out how post pictures I will put them up.

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 10:17 AM
http://www.njfishing.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64810&stc=1&d=1381155406
http://www.njfishing.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64811&stc=1&d=1381155432

Sharkyispy
10-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Sounds like a great trip with plenty of variety....

Jay
10-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Nice Going. Great Report....:d

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Sounds like a great trip with plenty of variety....

Great trip .Lots fun .Forgot to mention wahoo that destroyed the spreader bar and a billfish that grabbed the joe chute as we started bring it in .

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Nice Going. Great Report....:d

Thanks Jay ,You know I never embellish .I call it as it was and was way more exciting then it sounds .

Jay
10-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks Jay ,You know I never embellish .I call it as it was and was way more exciting then it sounds .

That is awesome! Another epic trip on the Russian Roulette. NICE!

Gerry Zagorski
10-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Sounds like an awesome trip.... Congrats to you and the crew for making the last minute change to get on the bite.

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Cpt.Denis of Russian Roulette always puts us on the meat and always with surprises.LOL. Like our last tile trip when we came home with tiles and over and under BFT.:)

Chico
10-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Congrats on such a great time!!!

Ryelof
10-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Cpt.Denis of Russian Roulette always puts us on the meat and always with surprises.LOL. Like our last tile trip when we came home with tiles and over and under BFT.:)
Capt Dennis never lets you down........Did you finally drive "Timmy" away?

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Capt Dennis never lets you down........Did you finally drive "Timmy" away?
Timme is gone !!!

Russian Roulette
10-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Here is one of the swords it was great time

Russian Roulette
10-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Almost forgot here is fat Albert

great white hunter
10-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Good fishermen make it easy for a first time hillbilly mate. The only thing missing was a tuna jig bite. As usual capt dennis delivers,"dats why he's da captain"! Had a blast fishing with you gents and thanks for the generous tip. rob

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Good fishermen make it easy for a first time hillbilly mate. The only thing missing was a tuna jig bite. As usual capt dennis delivers,"dats why he's da captain"! Had a blast fishing with you gents and thanks for the generous tip. rob

You are a good mate ,I brake your balls but you were there when we needed you .As for tip : that's how we roll lmao:D

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Almost forgot here is fat Albert

Denis dont talk like that about Joe lol 66 years old the dude is a beast

jmurr711
10-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Denis dont talk like that about Joe lol 66 years old the dude is a beast
great job you dirty liberal!

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 09:52 PM
great job you dirty liberal!

I have been accused of many things Jmurr but never ever of being a liberal ,you take that back you philly hooch

jmurr711
10-07-2013, 09:55 PM
I have been accused of many things Jmurr but never ever of being a liberal ,you take that back you philly hooch

hahaha thats a huge longfin dude Hank said you guys had a nice 1 i was hoping ya would get the record & I am a hooch ty for the compliment :D

EEL killer
10-07-2013, 10:22 PM
hahaha thats a huge longfin dude Hank said you guys had a nice 1 i was hoping ya would get the record & I am a hooch ty for the compliment :D
We were hoping too but 9lbs short still a great trip and plenty meat to take home. i might be turning into fish soon .Today I had YFT sashimi ,LFT tuna salad and baked sword .Damn good food.I believe Cpt.Hank got some sword too!!!

BELLYUP
10-08-2013, 05:43 AM
John and Joe are friends of mine. They asked me to reply. They had a great time lots of ball breaken. And plenty of fish. Oh yea Capt. fishes HARD REEL HARD.

Frenchie
10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Was definitely a great trip. First time I saw a sword caught and definitely first time I saw a sword just jumping out of the water and not even hooked. Saw lots of tuna busting all around the boat. Joe and John are some hard core tuna guys. Thanks to all of Joe's work we were able to get the live squid for bait and that was the ticket for two of the sword hook ups. Lots of life out there, was really hoping to get into a jig bite, but just means I have to go out again. Would have been perfect if we could have landed the first bill fish that got off on the troll and the wahoo that bit off the ballyhoo Definitely a great trip and one I will remember.

Rob is a great mate, stayed up all night manning the lines and chum. Took some good ball busting too. Dennis is a champ, he knows how to find the fish and then gets them in the boat. His harpoon skills are top notch when you dont stand on the harpoon line. :D

Top notch operation all around and glad I made the drive down from Mass. I was dragging at work yesterday, but defnitely worth it.