PDA

View Full Version : raritan bay ?

jimmythegreek
09-04-2013, 11:08 AM
how hard is it to find fish in RB in the fall? is it pretty much head out and fish structure/marks on ur sonar? Or just look for the big pods of boats fishing the schools and stick w them? Ive seen guys in kayaks out there and some little boats that I would be scared to be in, I guess small craft have to pick their days weekdays being best/safest.

Gerry Zagorski
09-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Every fall is different and if it's Stripers you are after, it's a wait and see game. Late Oct early Nov is usually when they come in and that depends on the presence of bait and if their migration path comes close into shore or not.

If they are around in the bay, it's typically run and gun jig fishery.... You find the birds working, your take a few shots and repeat.

jimmythegreek
09-04-2013, 12:38 PM
thanks Gerry, thats how it was the last few times I was out there. I missed all last year in the salt due to family/work obligations, I been doing alot of freshwater stripers up in LH w great success. Miss the salt tho, spend alot of time out there years ago. My boat is big enough to handle typical days, (wide/deep 19' windshield boat) I have lots of exp I know how to pic my days and weather. I saw guys in Yaks out there year before last, getting right into the mix w the private and charter boats like they had no worries, very gutsy IMO. I figure Ill do some recon maybe call/ask around where they are and go during the week on good weather days, just follow the fleet and run and gun on them. I C&R so dont care about size or blues/etc. just in it for the sport.