PDA

View Full Version : Friday, Voyager Seabass

Chico
01-25-2013, 09:59 PM
The seabass fishing on Friday was as expected, excellent!! Got my seabass limit by 10AM, then switched over to target porgies, ended up with a dozen nice sized porgies. Once again the seabass were almost all large. Got one nice one while jigging, on the teaser!! Saw one LARGE Pollock and several BIG lings, I landed one. Porgies seemed to love the clams, got almost all my seabass on whole squid, on a one hook rig as was recommended on this forum THANKS!! There were at least a dozen jumbo sized knot head seabass. Saw about a half dozen dog fish, none for me!! If you are thinking of going, do it! It is really not as cold out on the water as it is back on shore!! I don't have my photos uploaded yet. Also, for those who know him, Dominic is back!!!

TDaly25
01-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Was just awesome out there! I got my limit of nice biscuits and 14 nice porgies. Also caught about a dozen dogfish, all on the diamond jig, surprisingly. Was my first offshore seabass trip but will not be my last. AMAZING the consistent quality of the fish out there!

Day started off cold as a witch's you know what but warmed up enough for me to take my gloves off for the last several hours :)

I'd highly recommend getting out there if you could swing it!

JonDevin
01-25-2013, 10:43 PM
I think Captain Jeff cut a deal with the devil. It was like the perfect fishing day. We have a nice long easy ride out and it's lines in just as the sun is coming up. I was fishing next to Lamar and tried to jig an early pollack. After a few minutes, Jeff wanted to wiggle us a bit so he says lines up and someone snags Lamar from the other side of the boat. Lamar is yelling over to them that they have him. No response. He then starts cursing, calling the guy an a-hole, etc. Jeff starts to move and Lamar's line is actually scoping towards the back of the boat... this is not someone elses line. He proceeds to pull up a pollack in the 25 to 30# class. Looked fat like a tuna. So then everyone goes on to pretty much catch their limits of jumbo sea bass, along with a bunch of big porgies, ling. I caught a bunch of those highly coveted, now protected, pout. So as the sea bass cooled down, and everyone had their limits, the porgy bite heated up. Everyone was catching porgy. Lamar, not to be out done, caught a porgy the likes of which I've never seen before... HUGE! I know he has picks, hopefully he'll post'm. So it was getting close to 1pm. Everyone has their fill of sea bass and porgy and then bam... bam... bam, bam, bam, bam.... I saw a good 1/2 dozen dogs pulled up within a minute of each other. Like a pack they came in... then Jeff gets on the horn and we headed back to the barn. Fabulous day! Kudos to Dom and Brian for keeping up with the tangles, bate and filets.

TDaly25
01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
I saw that giant porgy, biggest Ive ever seen :O

Also witnessed the whole pollack episode, it was pretty freaking funny :D

Those dogs were slamming my jig for the final 30-40 mins of the trip. I had double header dogs, double header biscuits, double header dog/porgie, and double header porgie/biscuit. One heckuva day ;)

SaltLife1980
01-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Sounds like a great trip.. Nice work guys!!

AquaDawg
01-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Fun day on the water with a great bunch of guys. Couldn't have asked for a better day in January. Jon, I still say someone on the other side was tugging on my line, I think that Pollock jumped on at the last minute, hahahaha. Capt Jeff and crew did an excellent job.

tropics
01-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Fun day on the water with a great bunch of guys. Couldn't have asked for a better day in January. Jon, I still say someone on the other side was tugging on my line, I think that Pollock jumped on at the last minute, hahahaha. Capt Jeff and crew did an excellent job.

Lamar that is a nice Pollock, glad to see yous all got a nice load of SB.

italianfisherman
01-26-2013, 06:27 AM
HollyWood is Back..

howarda780
01-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Beautiful Pollack !!!!!!!!!

Jay
01-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Glad to hear you guys nailed them! Also, happy Dom is back!

PaBeerGuy
01-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Great reporting. Seems like there is always 1 giant pollack comes up on those trips, and it's usually early on. I was reading how you left an hour late, just curious why? Was it the weather? :confused:

blkbear
01-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Nice Job, I have been cancelled out twice and have a trip on the voyager next Thursday night and sure hope we make it,

JonDevin
01-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Yes, Captain Jeff wanted to give a little extra time for the wind and seas to subside. It made for a comfortable ride out.

billfish16
01-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Jon and Lamar,

Very nice report and awesome size fish in the pics.

Jon,

Hopefully our NJF Gambler Sea Bass trip this coming weekend will not get blown out.

Bill

snapperbluefish101
01-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Nice Job guys. Limits for everyone. Nice Pollock too!

SNAPPERHEAD