PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Explorer Tuesday

Ocean Explorer
01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
1-8-12 We made our way out this morning in what at times I thought was going to be a long day...It was kinda snappy halfway out with a short roll hitting us on the side....:Looked like it was gonna be sloppy but eventually it actually got nicer the further offshore we got and it stayed nice out there all day long.We got into some decent life pretty quick again,,,the usual suspects..Lots of perch,,,but this morning the pouts (aka banana cod)were really in the mood to chew.....They were coming up left and right with an occasioinal ling mixed in..It was kinda tough early,,but we did capture some nice Codfish,,and some nice pollock mixed in as well...Afternoon came and the pouts died out a bit and the ling ended up putting the feed bag on....Decent after lunch with a nice steady pick all around the boat...High hooks with the ling were up about twenty,,and down from there...Seemed like everyone went home with fish!!!It was pretty good I thought.If you were one of the lucky ones you had a nice cod,or pollock with it,few sea bass as well......See ya tomorrow...check out some pics..

JBird
01-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Were the cod and pollack caught on bait or was anyone jigging?

NJ Dave
01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Comming on Thursday. Targeting cod/ling. What's the best style rig to tie up, hook size, rubba or gulp, clams?
What size hooks?
Thx.

frugalfisherman
01-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Comming on Thursday. Targeting cod/ling. What's the best style rig to tie up, hook size, rubba or gulp, clams?
What size hooks?
Thx.
I had a nice day. 20 ling and a nice cod. Guys using small hooks had bergalls all day. 4/0+ hook and wrap your clam tight with a bergall strip underneth. Don't swing at the bergall pecks.

frugalfisherman
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
PS. Gulp is a waste of money.

Ocean Explorer
01-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Actually the gulp works even better from what i see everyday...Guys who started using it late in the day had fish when earlier they did not....and while the bergall and clam combo is good I think the gulp by itself outfishes it and stays on the hook better and longer...You did well though today Bruce,,nice fish!! Also...keeping it simple helps alot of guys,,,fish one hook down on the bottom for ling and or Tog,,,put one way up high on a teaser for a pollock or cod as long as the dogs are not to bad...alot of guys today were tangled more with to many hooks clustered together..keep it simple and you will catch more...

Capt. Lou
01-09-2013, 08:28 AM
capt Bob on the money! Gulp is not a panacea but for certain deepwater species it can make your day!
Kiss principle is also the way to go! Two hook rigs less time tangled , more time fishing !
I'm also a believer yo aquire fresh bait when you can , especially clams , squid . Somedays fresh shucked clams = nice cod etc!