PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Fish Streamside

Outofline
04-14-2011, 03:12 PM
It was my understanding that it's illegal to clean your catch and discharge of the guts streamside? I know I can get a quick answer here. I thought it had something to do with whirling disease? Seen a few people do it. I prefer to throw them on ice and clean them at home. Just curious
Any input appreciated.
Matt

Wilson
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
In some states it is illegal to gut fish streamside.
I have never been hassled for it in NJ, nor have I heard that is illegal.
Of course I give all my Trout to the smoker guy and he guts them;)

Outofline
04-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks George. I guess it would make sense, that there's other creatures that would make short order of the fresh discards..raccoons, possums, mink, birds, etc..

Wilson
04-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Judging by the amount of guts in the water Andy and I saw on Sunday
I'd say your ok.

Outofline
04-14-2011, 03:44 PM
When I keep them, I put the stringer through the jaw, not the gills, (which keeps them alive longer, and I can cull) and have my cooler with ice, then clean them at home. Never had an issues

Wilson
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
The little lady gets peeved when I do it in the kitchen.
Had a little accident one time with a live crayfish that came out of
a Trout I gutted in the sink. Crayfish ended up in my wifes coffee cup:eek:
Don't ask:D

Outofline
04-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Gotta hear that one, one day! Too funny!

Michael82929
04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
It is illegal in NJ to clean fish stream side.

Its done and usually no one complains.

Years ago I didnt really care, but the amount of bears around these days, I would advise against it.

Mike M
04-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I have never seen in writing that it is illegal. do you know the statute?

AJFISH13
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Illegal or not, clean your fish at home. Lay em out newspaper and gut em on the newspaper. Wash them out on the sink. Leaves places we fish clean. Im sure the vultures and other scavengers have enough to eat as it is.

Moz
04-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Illegal or not, clean your fish at home. Lay em out newspaper and gut em on the newspaper. Wash them out on the sink. Leaves places we fish clean. Im sure the vultures and other scavengers have enough to eat as it is.

+1

Wilson
04-14-2011, 06:26 PM
When taking Trout I gut them, leave the heads on and throw the guts in the river.
I don't see anything wrong with that and figure I'm feeding the Crayfish, Catfish and Raccoons. Bears are gonna eat one way or another, and I'd rather they go fishing in the stream then in my gut filled garbage:eek:

AndyS
04-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Clean the fish at home ???........ and have my wife run around like her hair is on fire !!! I'll take my chances streamside thank-you !

drifter33
04-14-2011, 07:29 PM
AJ is absolutely right. Fresh water or salt water. Guts, scraps, old bait......it's all food for only so long. Sooner or later it is nothing more then pollution.

Wilson
04-14-2011, 08:02 PM
AJ is absolutely right. Fresh water or salt water. Guts, scraps, old bait......it's all food for only so long. Sooner or later it is nothing more then pollution.
It's biodegradable, not saltwater run off, silt,chemicals, sewage and host of other things...that's pollution. Ashes to ashes dust to dust.

AJFISH13
04-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Actually Wilson is right but unless your wife/girlfriend is gonna Lorena Bobbit you:eek: :eek: :eek: if you do it, gut your fish at home. Besides, I don't gut anything besides trout, they all go into a friend's smoker. Everything else get's filleted.

Billfish715
04-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Most fish taste better when they are bled ASAP. I don't see anything wrong about discarding the eviscerations into the stream. The esthetics of a stream are changed somewhat when there is a pile of "guts" right next to the bank. If you're going to clean your fish streamside, at least toss the pieces out into the deeper sections where they won't be so noticeable. I've seen many different aquatic and non aquatic creatures feasting on the discarded innards.

The only restriction I've ever heard regarding cleaning fish is the "gentlemen's agreement" among surf fishermen about cleaning or discarding any "guts" in the surf. (Some municipalities along the shore have ordinances against it.)What I do find disturbing is the amount of trash,from fishermen specifically, along just about every river, stream, creek, lake or pond where they cast a line. From styrofoam bait containers, to monofilament line, to snelled fishhook wrappers, to cans and bottles, cigarette filters, sandwich wrappers etc. they are an eyesore and give the responsible fishermen a bad name.

Carry a bag with you when you hit your favorite spot and carry out the litter of the other "sportsman" so they don't give us all a bad name.