PDA

View Full Version : How has the bite been down there? We're getting slammed with dogfish

spc06
09-21-2021, 09:52 PM
The Gulf Of Maine had a great start. Labor day weekend I went out on a marathon, and the big pollock are starting to show up. They opened cod for a month, unfortunately all mine had to be tossed back. Got some good videos of it (I won't post it here as I see it upset a few of you).

Anyway, I went back out the next week (got a bit of the fever you could say). We went out, seas were a tad rough, but the dogs...Oh the dogs...We were catching two to a hook. They would be feasting on a haddock while we were trying to get them off our hooks. It was horrible.

Good news is they are hopefully getting better. Latest reports showed they held back some. Hoping they go away by mid October.

Do you guys get a lot of dogs down there? As a kid I used to catch them and oyster crackers at mystic island NJ, but not sure if it has changed.

NJ219bands
09-21-2021, 10:49 PM
I tagged and released 2 on the Manasquan Inlet north jetty last year. I like your videos. Keep posting.

spc06
09-22-2021, 11:27 AM
That's fantastic that you tag them, I wish more people did that! Makes a big difference. Thank you for the complement, also.

This was the Labor day trip. Next month is the last marathon of the year, really looking forward to it. If any of you find your way up north in the Seacoast NH region, please let me know, love to go fishing with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlEsYWdku9k&t=94s

NJ219bands
09-22-2021, 11:58 PM
A striped bass that I tagged in NJ was recaptured at Rye Beach, NH. None of my 247 fish tag returns were from ME. It would be amazing if you caught one of my > 8,100 tagged fish in Maine.

spc06
09-23-2021, 05:48 AM
A striped bass that I tagged in NJ was recaptured at Rye Beach, NH. None of my 247 fish tag returns were from ME. It would be amazing if you caught one of my > 8,100 tagged fish in Maine.

That’s freaking awesome! I’ve fished Maine for twenty years, never caught a tagged fish, hopefully I will now. That’s fantastic that take them!

jmurr711
09-23-2021, 10:33 AM
last couple years they took over our reefs by early october & the sea bass & porgy fishing sucked. I was off nantucket monday & they were fierce in under 150ft but once we went out past 180 they backed off & the cod fishing was stooopid

spc06
09-25-2021, 06:54 AM
The company I go with just posted they found a spot with few dogs, they did mention needing to go much further out. Thanks for tagging your fish, I’d like to start that someday.