PDA

View Full Version : Gambler bloodier decks

Pennsy Guy
10-29-2020, 11:52 PM
This'll be a quicky, I'm whipped. Just back from a tuna 36hr trip reminiscent of the '90's. Jeff took us back to that shorter point which has produced YFT's since June. Lines in noon or so at anchor since a drift wouldn't work due to wind. Hook-ups started soon after start with, I think about 10 Y's in the slush tank with several dropped, broken offs as well. Around 7 PM we left for the Toms for the night. Anchored again with nothing happening except for 2 Mahi-mahi not that big all night. At 7AM headed back to "the spot", anchored and it started within one minute with slow hookups and dropped/boated Y"s until it was a steady multiple hookup situation. At one point we had 3 fish on on the port side and 3 on the starboard. 5 of 6 landed--how cool is that...NOAA was a bit off again...seas a bit larger with more wind than forecast for Wed., wind never quit at night but did during Thurs. with lessening seas but the rain came on Wed. night and throughout Thurs.--mostly light but at times pretty hard. Water temp at the Toms--70*, at "the spot" 63*. Not everyone caught but everyone got bit multiple times. Lots of spiny dogs caught--bigger PIA than blue dogs.
Fish totals: 40+/- Y's (most 65-90#+), 1 Bluefin(on the jig), 2 mahi. A very few tuna were jigged and the bait of choice was sardine and then frozen squid. The bigger the fish, the meaner and greener they were and it didn't matter about leader size---80# leaders caught as well as 40#.
Kudos to our crew of Chris(2nd Capt.), Nico, John & Ricky for dealing with the many tangles & managing the deck and fish expertly and to Capt. Jeff for getting us to the fish and back to port.
Been a long time since there's been 40+ big Y's on deck. You gotta love it!
Two more trips(24hr) scheduled for Nov.--I gotta go, how 'bout you?

Ol Pedro
10-30-2020, 10:03 AM
Chuck, What was your score?

AndyS
10-30-2020, 10:50 AM
Nice ! No Longfin. it's almost November !

Gerry Zagorski
10-30-2020, 11:55 AM
WOW that's one hell of a trip :eek::eek::eek:

Pennsy Guy
10-30-2020, 12:57 PM
Chuck, What was your score?

I went 2 for 2 with several dog fish. Got both fish mid & late AM yesterday.

Pennsy Guy
10-30-2020, 01:00 PM
Nice ! No Longfin. it's almost November !

I know, hopefully they'll show up in force next 2 trips.

beachwhistle
10-30-2020, 02:05 PM
Been on the sidelines this year for health reasons and these reports are killing me!:(
Spongebob

lettman2
10-30-2020, 02:12 PM
I was also on this trip and had the pleasure of meeting Chuck for the first time. I have read a lot of his reports over the years which helped give me good insight on when I would plan my trip for the upcoming chunking season.

As Chuck said the trip was great and the fish were really biting in "the spot". Unfortunately for me I didn't fare as well. I hooked up once on Wednesday with a tuna but got broken off. Then on Thursday I was fishing from the back of the boat and got hooked up three times within 45 minutes. The first one got broken off and the other two were spit hooks. There were so many people getting broken off on this trip that the Gambler went through two spools of rigs!

I just want take this opportunity to thank the crew and the captain for making a great trip and I also want to thank Chuck for not letting me go home empty handed on this trip. Thank you again Chuck I really appreciated that kind gesture.

Muldune
10-30-2020, 03:12 PM
Great report Chucky,I taught you well but not all of my secrets LOL:)

dales529
10-30-2020, 05:54 PM
Pennsy Guy
Dont know you personally but if anyone deserves "bloodier decks" its you and the whole Gambler operation. So Glad you got on them. Your dedication to the boat and those tuna is respected and best of luck on the 24hr (short trips for you) going forward.
Great report

howarda780
10-30-2020, 07:11 PM
Congrats! Sounds like another great Gambler trip. Bobby, Mike, Jeff. They’re all great.

Muldune
10-31-2020, 05:28 PM
You wouldnt Believe chucks age by the way he slays them big Tuna

Gerry Zagorski
10-31-2020, 06:16 PM
You wouldnt Believe chucks age by the way he slays them big Tuna

It's not the arrow, it's the Indian... Isn't that right Chuck?? I've seen muscle men in there 20s practically fall to their knees after fighting these fish. There's definitely a technique to beating these fish and Chuck obviously has it down.

Pennsy Guy
10-31-2020, 09:18 PM
You're so right Gerry. Had a good teacher in Muldune but he's right, had to learn for myself--trial & error & watching others. He didn't give me all his tuna fishing knowledge but enough to stay out of trouble--mostly LOL