PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Surf Fishing

Brewlugger
11-03-2019, 04:29 AM
I gave it Hell this weekend and Hell is what I caught. I fished the last 2 hours of the flood and about 3 hours into the ebb both Friday and Saturday night. On Friday I started getting some light bumps right away and my friend landed one about keeper size but I never hooked up among quite a few other anglers who were working the night shift. On Saturday it was more of the same with the fish just lightly tapping my rig, I did get a hookup but it felt like I snagged a weed when it hit and it came off after a short fight. Not many guys out there on Saturday and the weather was beautiful both nights. I'm looking fforward to giving it Hell next weekend already.

AndyS
11-03-2019, 06:36 AM
Plugs or clams ?

Brewlugger
11-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Plugs or clams ?

I was fishing lures Andy.

AndyS
11-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Maybe a teaser on a dropper loop above the lure would help ?

Brewlugger
11-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Maybe a teaser on a dropper loop above the lure would help ?

Thanks Andy. I very rarely fish without a teaser and I'm surprised by how many anglers I see that don't use them. I just think the fish weren't on the feed and everyone I spoke too besides my friend caught the skunk. I really don't get twisted up about getting skunked and I'm grateful I can still get out. At least it was a beautiful couple of nights and I learned alot of cuts and troughs for future reference. I wouldn't be surprised if the bite turns on tonight. I don't use the dropper for the teaser, I tie my barrel swivel into a small dropper and tie the teaser onto the short tag end. I find that it gives the teaser more action and it doesn't twist up. Thanks again the teaser rig is good advice for sure.

Ice Cream Bill
11-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the report Bruce!

Two best days of fishing: yesterday and tomorrow.

Brewlugger
11-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the report Bruce!

Two best days of fishing: yesterday and tomorrow.

Thanks Bill good for hear from you.

NJ219bands
11-03-2019, 09:27 PM
I caught nothing in 4 of 5 trips to Manasquan last week at night. The one night that I caught fish, I was immediately surrounded by 4 fishermen after catching, tagging and releasing a fluke and sundial on consecutive casts of a Bomber in the surf. I quit fishing because of the crowd. Fall run NJ surf fishermen really suck.

Billfish715
11-03-2019, 11:18 PM
Bands.........A little off topic but........I noticed the band placement on the fluke you released. I place my tags about an inch or two farther forward depending on the size of the fluke. Why do you choose to place the tag where you do?

As for the surf fishing..........the surf seemed clean of any abundance of bait. No food....no fish. The surf guys for the most part are decent and respectful. When the bass are so scarce, most fishermen will be drawn to a smaller area where one or two were caught in hopes there will be more. That usually happens on a sandeel bite when the bass find sandeels in a small stretch of beach. I wouldn't expect other fishermen to walk by and let me have the spot all to myself.

NJ219bands
11-04-2019, 11:40 PM
Bands.........A little off topic but........I noticed the band placement on the fluke you released. I place my tags about an inch or two farther forward depending on the size of the fluke. Why do you choose to place the tag where you do?

As for the surf fishing..........the surf seemed clean of any abundance of bait. No food....no fish. The surf guys for the most part are decent and respectful. When the bass are so scarce, most fishermen will be drawn to a smaller area where one or two were caught in hopes there will be more. That usually happens on a sandeel bite when the bass find sandeels in a small stretch of beach. I wouldn't expect other fishermen to walk by and let me have the spot all to myself.

Caught, tagged and released a fluke and striped bass in the inlet with 3 casts of an Ava on a sunny afternoon yesterday and everybody stayed away from me. I thought tagging fluke near the tail was the right tag placement.

Billfish715
11-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Caught, tagged and released a fluke and striped bass in the inlet with 3 casts of an Ava on a sunny afternoon yesterday and everybody stayed away from me. I thought tagging fluke near the tail was the right tag placement.

By the time that fluke gets to the breeding grounds offshore, all of the spawning will be over. Or, maybe it will see the other fluke heading back inshore after the spawn and will join them on their return. As for the tag, I was instructed to put the tag in a spot that would not inhibit the fish from swimming easily. If the placement doesn't affect the way the fish swims when it is released, just keep tagging the same way.

NJ219bands
11-05-2019, 10:29 PM
When I tagged another fluke today I put the tag in further up from the tail but the tag ripped out. I retagged it closer to the tail. Caught, tagged and released a fluke and striped bass each of the past two days. While tagging a striper today, another fisherman stopped and started fishing nearby. Intruders are losers.

Billfish715
11-06-2019, 12:49 PM
I can see where you placed your first tag. The finlets along the sides of the fluke will not hold a tag. You have to insert the needle into the meat just inside of the finlet. I've never had any pull out. If you are comfortable placing your tags where you do, keep on with the same technique. Have you tried the snap together tags? I've been using them for awhile and have found them to be much easier to use than the ones that have to be tied.

AndyS
11-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Where is the information on tagging fluke, and why are you do it. If fluke season is closed aren't you technically "in possession" I f you don't know where to tag fluke maybe you shouldn't be tagging anything ? If I were tagging striped bass I would use a landing net, not rocks.