PDA

View Full Version : Gambler Tuna Report

togzilla
10-30-2019, 11:35 AM
Just got back last night from a 30 hour trip on the Gambler. Not a bad ride out but between 10:00pm to 3:00am the wind was honking along with some rain. There were two small swords landed and released and we were not expecting much as it has mostly been a day bite lately. I got up at 6:30am on Monday to make sure I was down at the boat by the noon departure. By the time 2:00am came I was fighting off the zzzz's and all but a few were sleeping expecting no bite until daylight. I stuck it out and at 5:00am in the dark we stated getting a couple of bites. My buddy landed a nice 70lb. yellowfin and I got a small one at 30lbs. There were only about 6 people fishing out of the 15 on the trip. Later in the morning I landed a nice 60lb longfin. Boat ended up with about 14 fish for the trip. Not an epic bite but given this season I was happy. As usual the captain and mates were great and very attentive to the anglers. Pays to stick it out at the rail!!!

Flygaff
10-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Good to see fish being caught. I am on the 36 hour trip next week. Can't wait. I will be at the rail all night trying everything I can think of.

togzilla
10-30-2019, 02:17 PM
Good to see fish being caught. I am on the 36 hour trip next week. Can't wait. I will be at the rail all night trying everything I can think of.

There was a guy jigging who had 4 hook ups (only landing two) while nobody else jigging could get a hit. He was using a pink Shimano Butterfly Flat Fall jig 8 ounce and swears by it. Just thought I would pass that on in case you were going to jig.

AndyS
10-30-2019, 02:56 PM
No pot hopping for mahi ?

togzilla
10-30-2019, 03:46 PM
No pot hopping for mahi ?

Trip left at noon so we did not get out there until about 5:45 and it was pretty sporty so pot hopping was not an option on Monday. The tuna were sporadically biting up until we had to leave at noon the next day so there was no time. One small chicken was caught during the night but the crew said the mahi fishing has slowed a bit with the cooler temps.

lettman2
11-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Nice to meet you and your buddy you guys get after it. I thought it was a good trip and if you stuck it out at the rail you more than likely got rewarded. I ended up with a 65 lb yellowfin which was my first tuna so I was thrilled. Hopefully get out a few more times next year! Thanks to the captain and crew!