10-24-2019, 05:53 PM
ok been having this problem for the last few year and asking for input

all the salt water fish i catch
stripers
sea bass
fluke
ling
tog

that i process the same way for the last 10 years(clean all blood line removed than soak in ice salt water for about 30 minutes patted dry before i vacuum sea)
than i seal and freeze

back in the day fish would last me over a year

now i get only like 1-1/2 months before the fish smells rotten

if i buy store brought fresh fish it will last a good year plus

is it me or can it be what these fish are eating or something else

any input be great

thanks

tjd24
10-24-2019, 09:15 PM
It may be the soaking in salt water for a half hour. I never soaked fish and got well over 6 months.

Do you have a quality vacuum sealer & bags?
Maybe you're getting an air leak.

Fishermancraig
10-24-2019, 11:05 PM
I also am inclined to think that it might be the soaking of the fish in sea water.

My fish fillets last easily 6 months in the freezer. Assuming your vacuum sealer is fully functional and works proficiently.

For my fish fillets I want them bone dry before putting them through the sealer. I pat them completely dry with paper towel. The less water the better. Try it this way and see if it helps. But again, also make sure your sealer is really removing all air.

Best of luck!

reason162
10-24-2019, 11:38 PM
(clean all blood line removed than soak in ice salt water for about 30 minutes patted dry before i vacuum sea)
than i seal and freeze

How do you make your ice brine? Do you measure salt to water ratio or eyeball it? Did you change salt type, ie kosher to seasalt, grain size...iodized (god forbid?)

I rinse in cold salt water and wrap the fillets in paper towels. Make sure all sides are touching paper, double layer, roll like a burrito...then wrap in tinfoil. Let that sit overnight in the fridge on frozen ice bottles; it will leech out more moisture and be bone dry for the vacuum sealer the next day.

30 min soak in salt water will start brining the fish. Not something I recommend, unless you're trying to brine the fish for the smoker or something.

devildogski
10-25-2019, 02:43 AM
i always use the same ratio of salt to water 1/4 cup to a gallon of water and it痴 the same salt i always use

like i said been using this method for 12 years and had the fish last a year before and now the only last 1-1/2months

and again i do the same method for any store brought fresh fish and that fish will last a good 6 months just the fish i catch where i have the problem

yes the bags sealed correctly

Reel Class
10-25-2019, 04:41 AM
Dave,

To be honest I stopped freezing fish years ago. Everything I eat now is fresh. Even if I get a pile of ling I cook some one day, keep the rest filleted and iced, and cook it a few days later. I have NEVER liked the taste of frozen fish and I just don't do it any longer because the taste definitely changes after freezing. Just my opinion!

saltfisherman
10-25-2019, 05:27 AM
I never rinse fish prior to packaging. Even if there is some pieces of whatever from cutting I値l just wipe it off. I値l rinse once I知 ready to cook. A quick final cleaning of bones.

I also freeze prior to vacuum sealing. The pieces are laid out on a cookie sheet, froze then packaged.

Uncle Nicky
10-25-2019, 05:33 AM
1/2 an hour soaking seems a little long.

I don't want to sound smart, but fish that is frozen while fresh shouldn't smell rotten after a couple months in the freezer, especially if you are vacuum sealing it. Maybe your taste has changed, or gotten more refined. If anything, store bought might taste bad after a while in the freezer, who knows how it was processed or how long it was dead before you bought it?

Man Workin
10-25-2019, 07:38 AM
Try placing fish in container then cover to top of fish with water and freeze.
Essentially making a ice cube. Works well for sure, i usually try to eat before four months.

Flygaff
10-25-2019, 07:53 AM
I use a Vac Master chamber vac machine. I don't wash the fish, I just dry the fillets and then pack them in 4 mil bags. I get at least a year of fresh tasting fish. I just love the machine

BigRock44
10-25-2019, 08:38 AM
skip the salt water soak and freeze fillets in a solid block of ice. no freezer burn and lasts a very long time this way.

bulletbob
10-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Dave,

To be honest I stopped freezing fish years ago. Everything I eat now is fresh. Even if I get a pile of ling I cook some one day, keep the rest filleted and iced, and cook it a few days later. I have NEVER liked the taste of frozen fish and I just don't do it any longer because the taste definitely changes after freezing. Just my opinion!

Agreed.. I will freeze some fish, sea bass freezes well, as do flatfish. but even then. it is best eaten within a week or two of freezing.. Many will argue , but I have always felt freezing fish has a negative impact on its taste.. its not just taste either.. Freezing for longer periods ruins the texture as well... Ever try frozen Bluefish??.. yuck,,, cat food... bob

reelfitter
10-25-2019, 10:25 AM
skip the salt water soak and freeze fillets in a solid block of ice. no freezer burn and lasts a very long time this way.

This is the way. I freeze most all my fish this way. The only down fall is it takes a lot of freezer space. I eat fish frozen over a year this way.

bigfishy
10-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Haha ...I feel da same way about em fresh

PeteyHD
10-25-2019, 11:36 AM
Here's my 2cents...

Don't soak fish especially if they are filleted. The fillets will soak up extra moisture and when they freeze (even if vacuum sealed) that moisture in the fillet will make the fish "spongy" when it is thawed. If you do need to RINSE your fish make sure you use seawater and not your own version of saltwater but do not soak.

I find the best method to freezing fish like seabass and porgy is to freeze them whole and filet them after they defrost. The skin and scales do a tremendous job at preserving the meat 6-12 months easily Only problem is spikes will penetrate lower mil bags.

Even with larger pelagic fish it's always better to freeze chunks of meat rather than steaks IMO. Just pat dry and freeze.

PeteyHD
10-25-2019, 11:39 AM
I never rinse fish prior to packaging. Even if there is some pieces of whatever from cutting I値l just wipe it off. I値l rinse once I知 ready to cook. A quick final cleaning of bones.

I also freeze prior to vacuum sealing. The pieces are laid out on a cookie sheet, froze then packaged.

I like this idea! Makes lots of sense to avoid the moisture/seal issues. Thanks for that advice will give it a shot soon.

Kevin Bogan
10-25-2019, 12:11 PM
I never rinse fish prior to packaging. Even if there is some pieces of whatever from cutting I’ll just wipe it off. I’ll rinse once I’m ready to cook. A quick final cleaning of bones.

Right, don't rinse, don't soak, save all that good stuff! getting the blood out? Doesn't hurt anything, leave it there. After you vacuum seal, put the vacuum bag into a ziplok bag as well.
:cool: The King of Sea Food has spoken!!!!
:) Hey Skip, who says you are the KIng of Sea Food?
:cool: Security, take that man to the gallows immediately, teach him a lesson so that others who may doubt the King Of Sea Food will doubt no longer!!!
;)

frugalfisherman
10-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Your freezer may not be cold enough.

hammer4reel
10-27-2019, 03:56 PM
we bleed all our fish in a saltwater Ice slurry on the boat.

fillet and then seal immediately in a Vac master chamber sealer.

Then to thaw them just place in a cold water bath for a few minutes before cooking.

Fish is as fresh as the day it was caught.

Vac masters are expensive but the savings on bags pay for it the first year if you use it a lot.
And its a thousand times better than a normal vacuum sealer.