NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Bottom rig adjustment - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Bottom rig adjustment

Now that we are looking at a winter fishery around the corner,here's a trick I use to lengthen or shorten my singlt two or three hk bottom hi lo rig hook position
I simple use a surgeons two turn knot to add a piece of mono to the lower part of my rig. This piece holds my sinker . The length of this mono additoin dictates how high my jhhoks will be located or shortened. It's also of lighter mono so if sinker hangs I keep rig in tact. Re rigging is simple if the sinker breaks off,simply tie in another mono addition long or short as needed, go fish.
No wasted time in making rig adjustments or having to ite a new one at sea.
Of course if the hook snags then it's back to square one.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Bottom rig adjustment

For blackfish at least, I use a single hook setup. In the morning, I tie arouind 6 5/0 gami octo hooks up to 2' pieces of flouro. Then, I tie about 12' of flouro to my main line. At the end of that I put a double twist surgeons loop and attach the sinker. It's a pretty big loop. I then attach my hook to that. I think they call this a belmar blackfish rig. I never use the full two foot, I shorten it to whatever length I think I need. It's pretty good and throughout the day as you break off all you need to do is tie new surgeon loops and put your hook back on. I try not to break off more than 6 times.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Blk fish rigs offer a variety of styles,my intent was to refer to hi - lo rigs & hook set ups sans cod,pollock ling, etc .
Off course a variation of this as you described can be used for blk fish,all depends on bottom vs wreck etc. The fishing time I witness lost on PB's during winter bites is unreel. I overcome this by rigging as described and of course bringing a couple of extra pre rigged back up rods ready to go when a break off occurs.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Oh I wasn't arguing with your method, just adding to the thread. And having two rods rigged is one of the greatest things you can do, 100% correct on that as well.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

i and friends of mind, use hi-lo rigs for blackfish...one reason is , 1 hook stays away from the main wreck,while the other sits tigh to the wreck(or hard bottom) its a nice rig & works real well.... good fishing gents...