NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2014 Fluke Regulations - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 2014 Fluke Regulations

At today’s meeting, the ASMFC voted in favor of regionalized management for fluke in effect reallocating some of New Jersey’s fluke quota and giving it to New York. Further, of the two regionalization plans being considered, they chose the worse one for New Jersey. Under the adopted plan, New Jersey will be in a region with New York and Connecticut. Under this plan we will have a 4 fish bag limit at 18” with a 128 day season. The NJMFC will now only be able to decide when the season will begin and when it will end. Under this plan New Jersey is only projected to harvest 906,348 fluke. If the other regional option had been chosen New Jersey would have had a 135 day season with a projected harvest of 947,337 fluke.
Further the ASMFC disregarded the will of the public. Hearings were held in various states and there was a public comment period where the vast majority of the public opposed the regionalized plans. Additionally, the ASMFC claimed they wanted to have similar sized regulations between bordering states but all they did was shift the problem. Last year New York had a 19” size limit and New Jersey had a 17 ˝” size limit despite the fact that they were fishing similar waters. This year both New York and New Jersey will have an 18” size limit. However, Delaware will have a 16” size limit. How is that fair for our boats out of Cape May that fish similar waters?
The little bit of good news today was that the ASMFC voted not to have a closed season on winter flounder. Now we just have to wait for the NJMFC to adopt that measure.
The ASMFC also voted in favor of ad hoc regional measures for sea bass as we had last year.
I am hopeful that since New Jersey under fished its target quota that we might be able to have a somewhat longer season this year but that remains to be seen.

Paul Haertel
President JCAA
Old 02-04-2014, 05:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 2014 Fluke Regulations

Thanks for the info Paul. I made up my mind what I'll be keeping before they told me I can keep.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So, is this really it? No eleventh hour save? No legal challenge to this?

No B.S. I'll make my own rules and regulations. Over the edge now.

I've had it.
We liked to think things were fair. This is a rigged game, with the refs on the take.

To say NY and NJ fishing is the same, Is like saying Peter Luger's and Mc'Donalds are the same because they both sell beef.

This is fisheries managment? Bullshit!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

So we can potentially keep 2 winter flounder in the summer now? If so, I will trade that for the fluke season given that I catch more of those than flukies most years.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

How the F*&k did this happen?
I went to the meeting in Toms River and no one was in favor of this option.
I'm sure many of us reading this submitted comments. Evidently not enough.
We are getting steamrolled and if you look at the trend next year will be down again.
This management scheme is complete and utter BS.
I've tried to cooperate, but this has now gone too far.
This year on my boat, keep whatever you want I'll be flying the pirate flag.
Cant believe i'll be an outlaw.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

One word, PATHETIC.....So, WE THE PEOPLE, means squat to me, stop teaching and preaching it......now....
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 02-04-2014, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It is also interesting to note that on page 8 of the addendum, it implied that the season would be from 5/1-9/30. I never bothered to count the days until today but that season would come to a total of 153 days. Yet under the two regional options on page 12 we would have either a 128 or 135 day season. Now we know that the option with the 128 season was chosen. Therefore, I anticipate that since the NJMFC does its best to have the season open on weekends that we will end up with a season from 5/10-9/14 or from 5/17-9/21.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

At the NJMFC meeting on 3/6/14 the council voted in favor of a winter flounder season that will extend from 3/1 – 12/31. However, the regulation has to be written, reviewed and then signed by the DEP Commissioner before it becomes law. The winter flounder season is currently scheduled to open on 3/23 and it is doubtful that the Commissioner will sign it before that date. However, if he does so, the NJBMF will promptly announce the earlier opening. The bag and size limits will remain the same, 2 fish at 12”.
Regarding fluke not much has changed since I last gave an update on 2/28. Various options that I previously mentioned are being considered. However, there is a conference call scheduled for 3/13 between representatives from the ASMFC and each of the three states in our region. After that call, the final options expected to become available for public comment.
Regarding sea bass, the option I suggested to have a slit season bag limit was developed by the NJBMF and approved by the ASMFC. Other options are being considered as well. However, the NJMFC has scheduled a special council meeting to finalize both our fluke and sea bass regulations for this year. The public is invited to attend and give input. The meeting will be held at 4 PM on 4/3 at the Stafford Township Municipal Building located at 260 Bay Av, Manahawkin.

Paul Haertel
JCAA President

Last edited by Angler Paul; 03-07-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 11:42 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the update Paul.