NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Conventional livelining setup - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 11-30-2014, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Conventional livelining setup

Just curious as to what you guys would recommend in the 150-300 dollar range, will be used on party & charter boats.... I need the Rod Clamp or whatever it is that holds the line left to right.... Using this as a gift from my cousin and brother for Christmas, never had a good livelining rod.... Thanks
Old 12-01-2014, 11:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Conventional livelining setup

Since no one offered anything I'll give you my suggestions. I believe your looking for a levelwind reel, you don't need anything that big so my fav's are the Daiwa Saltist LW20HA or the Shimano Tekota 500. Either one should be around $150-200. For rods, you have a bunch of choices, but I'd go with something in either the 30lb or 40lb class. If you go with the 40lb it could even double as a good wreck fishing rod. May want to go see Kevin Bogan and have him build you something within your budget and even personalize it with his name on it, you could even call him and do the order over the phone and I'm sure he can maybe ship it to you as well if you can't get down to his shop.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Excellent recommendation for you Fisherman120.
I have a Saltist level wind, married to a Fish Poison. Good combo.
I prefer a lever drag, but you won't go wrong with either.
Tight lines,
Tom K.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Got my first saltist last fall and got say i love it it's light strong and has an excellent drag. I also love the penn 975

www.palmersbucktails.com
EMAIL:
anthonyspalmer@gmail.com
Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980 View Post
Since no one offered anything I'll give you my suggestions. I believe your looking for a levelwind reel, you don't need anything that big so my fav's are the Daiwa Saltist LW20HA or the Shimano Tekota 500. Either one should be around $150-200. For rods, you have a bunch of choices, but I'd go with something in either the 30lb or 40lb class. If you go with the 40lb it could even double as a good wreck fishing rod. May want to go see Kevin Bogan and have him build you something within your budget and even personalize it with his name on it, you could even call him and do the order over the phone and I'm sure he can maybe ship it to you as well if you can't get down to his shop.
excellent recommendation!!!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the tips guys, turns out I have a 50 lb rated conventional rod that I got a few years ago I forgot out, so I just need a reel. Have a Saltist without the levelwind and liked everything except the fact it had no levelwind, and I'm currently using a Dekota 500 for blackfish and I love it. Probably gonna go with the Dekota and use it as a backup blackfish setup with mono but we'll see what I can get a better deal on. Thanks for the help