NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

WINTER FLOUNDER MORE LOST$$$$$please read - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: WINTER FLOUNDER MORE LOST$$$$$please read

Right on Doug!
Even know the limit is 2, it's still a time to get out, wet the line and enjoy the camaraderie. I probably won't take my boat out, but if my favorite charter captain sails, I'll be on board!
I may only catch 2, but I'll be supporting "my" Captain because I know they work hard everytime and go the extra mile! Plus, I'll just need to get out of the house and you can't put a price on a good time!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I would think this will likely affect the charter captains most, as few people will pay the premium to have their pick of two fish. Also, these things are not overly difficult to catch (with potent chum and the correct bait) and keepers are not hard to find, meaning the full-day trip you paid for could be over in an hour or less since limiting out will be relatively easy.

The party boats may be able to do alright still, since they're a cheaper option and 1/2 day.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

FWIW, the netters' limits were also cut this year. I believe they're down to 38 fish landed per day. In the past, it also didn't help that the fyke netters would take winter flounder from Nov. 1 to Feb. 20, reducing the local population before recs even got a shot at it.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

In the early spring, I'd rather go after ling and blackfish; definitely the case this year.

Last season, even with a reasonable bag limit, I didn't go out for flounder because the reports were so poor. There isn't much doubt that this fishery needs to rebuild.

I really don't mind leaving the flounder alone for a while, as long as the commercials have been constrained as well.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I agree with Martys I also rather fish for ling and blackfish. Maybe some of the captains could throw in a couple of hours of winter flounder before ling and blackfish. All of our recreational fisherman are going to find different ways to catch fish WE ARE NOT GOING TO STOP!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Site Moderator

I'll still fish for them. Cost is ridiculous when you could keep 10; now it's gonna be crazy. But it's fun and tradition. And you rarely gut hook them so the ones you throw back will live.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3ManFlounderLimit.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	19702   Click image for larger version

Name:	3ManLimitFlounder.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	19703   Click image for larger version

Name:	14 Flounders.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	19704   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 flounder on TNT.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	19705   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlotOfFlounder.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	19706  

NJ DEVILS
Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Site Sponsor

Good posts by everyone!!!

But even though Blackfish Doug, Brian Sea nymph, and others feel this way(which i am happy to hear) there is still a majority of other anglers who dont...

Its not all about what the angler take home, but most atleast want a chance to put a catch together to eat under reasonable limits... Flounder is a table fish.

I can tell just from our bookings (and other charter boats i talk to from here to ny) which now is mostly Bottomfishing (Blackfish ling cod) for april last year mostly flounder. A Bunch of Groups that fished for flounder last year opted for a bottom fish trip latter in the year. I cant fault them.

We love floundering and we will still sail a few flounder trips... some of our regular still wanna go and if the wind blows its better than sitting home... but with that said it will still only be prob be about 1/4 the amount of trip normal.

Again I agree flounder fishing is not what it once was... But we dont fish at all in the fall... lost 23 days on the spring end... then a bag limit (which i though was good) and now 2 fish...5 fish would have atleast gave us a shot a season

Anyone who knows us knows we give a long day and fish hard... We love to mix it up... never mind trying for another specie even if we already had a great day on another... Its tough times i want our customers $ to go a long way for them.

With that said it wont be easy trying to mix bag Blackfish out in the ocean and still have enough time in the day to flounder fish in the bay at least in our area. Time tides worms chum etc... Not saying it wont or cant be done but for boats in our area it prob wont be an easy task.

i think the point the other capts or atleast my point is it will another regulation that will cut right into the pockets of the partyboats, charterboats, and tackle shops.

Add that to Losing a couple days of fluking, seabass cloure, no weakfish....less porgies etc.
Less days to fish, Less to fish for etc

Stripers and Blackfish will be next because it will all we will be able to target putting alot of added pressure on them.

Washington....Washington!!!
Capt. Jerry (732) 688-0765
Office (732) 403-6056
www.fishmongercharters.com

Last edited by Capt. Jerry P; 02-02-2010 at 01:23 PM..
Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

one thing i worry about is how much added pressure will this put on the spawning tog in the spring

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyS
In the early spring, I'd rather go after ling and blackfish; definitely the case this year.

Last season, even with a reasonable bag limit, I didn't go out for flounder because the reports were so poor. There isn't much doubt that this fishery needs to rebuild.

I really don't mind leaving the flounder alone for a while, as long as the commercials have been constrained as well.
i do!!it cost me money and raritan still has a run.a few of you guys say would go on a charter even with a 2 fish limit.i believe you.now try to convince 5 of your friends to come and fill the charter.it ain't going to happen.the bait and chum for flounder is expensive,i don't think you will see to many private boats flounder fishing either.going to hurt everyone including tackle shops.i wonder how many tackle shops are not going to be involved feb.24 march on washington.i made some calls and it made me puke.if they don't show don't buy any bait from them all year.i know for a fact they are not working on that day!!!!!! not many worms will be sold this spring.or for weakfish !!!

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 02-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=jmurr711]one thing i worry about is how much added pressure will this put on the spawning tog in the spring
Forget about the blackfish, the bass dont have a chance. We have bin destroying those stocks before all of this BS Regulations an now they are done. 1 bass per person entire coast an F the bonus tag would be nice.