NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Some Advice Needed Please - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Some Advice Needed Please

I use my ultra-light set up for trout on river smallmouth bass too. You generally need smaller lures for smallies and the 4 LBS test helps not to spook them and it's great fun to fight them on it. You can also use this kind of set-up for panfish so it's pretty versatile on a number of species including dink largemouth bass.

I'd never use that light a set-up for bigger Largemouth bass though as bigger lures work better (at weights which will exceed an UL rod's rating) and you have to fish off structure and cover and 4 LBS test won't hold up to the abuse. I use 8 LBS test in the open, clear water I fish in because of the smaller diamater and I primarily fish with weightless plastic lures that I want to cast further. My main LMB rods though have heavier-rated fluoro and braided lines on a meatier rod.

A medium-light rod could probably do a little of both. Maybe invest in a good reel that comes with a spare spool so you can swap lines for whatever you're fishing for that day.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Ok thanks Moz, that's what I was thinking maybe a medium 6" 6" with a good qauality reel, the change spools.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My 6' 6" Uglystick recommendation and the Stradic 4000FI is just that...

Ok then... Bob's your uncle...
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Just a quick question, I was told the 4000FI may be a little too much for what I will be fishing.

I was advised to get a 3000, just wondering what your thoughts were.

I also met a forum member in Ramsey Outdoors this evening. I think the English accent gave me away
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

First of all welcome to the USA. And welcome to New Jersey. In Warren County you have the Musconetcong River and the Pequest River. Great for trout.

For saltwater fishing I would go on the Angler out of Atlantic Highlands, NJ. Captain George is terrific and he and his folks will help you. As will the other patrons. You really want to try something fun. Go with Captain George during Blackfish season. You will be hooked for lack of a better term. Blackfishing is the best.

Need any help send me a message and I will either answer your questions or direct you to the right place and or person.

Be good and welcome aboard......

Mom, I love you so much and I will never stop missing you.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I live in Ringwood. Call me and I would happy to help you.

Steve. 201-788-0060
Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyRS6
Just a quick question, I was told the 4000FI may be a little too much for what I will be fishing.

I was advised to get a 3000, just wondering what your thoughts were.

I also met a forum member in Ramsey Outdoors this evening. I think the English accent gave me away

I just looked at one of my Stradic 4000's and for a 6'6" medium action rod (which is what I have it on), I believe that it is absolutely the the right size / balance for an all around rig. Again, it depends what you are fishing for. For trout, panfish and small bass in open water, this is more rod and reel than you need or want. On the other hand, I would consider anything lighter than this set-up as too little for larger bass or heavy cover, walleye, pike, catfish and carp.

Sending you a pm outlining my go-to rigs from light to heavy so you have an idea of the pairings I personally found that work.

Tight Lines...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Cool Re: Some Advice Needed Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve
I live in Ringwood. Call me and I would happy to help you.

Steve. 201-788-0060
Many thanks sir