NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Deep drop suggestions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 07-13-2018, 07:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Deep drop suggestions

Looking for suggestions on rod and reels for tilefish
Rose fish and whatever else may live over 800 feet
I would like real life suggestions on what you use
Instead of go talk to Dave at the reel seat I have been
There and he runs an excellent business and has given
Me a lot of information not looking for electric anything
And donít want to spend crazy money on a setup I will
Only use a few times a year
Thanks in advance
Chris
Old 07-13-2018, 08:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Deep drop suggestions

I am not by any means an expert on this fishery but have done it a few times in various locations. The one thing I will say is you need to be spoiled with braid. The rod and reel can be anything your budget allows. Reel wise, I have used everything from old Penn Senators to Electric Reels including Torsaís, TLDís and Canyon reels. They all worked just fine. The rod should be stiff enough to handle double digit ounce sinkers but enough give to feel the bites. I know this isnít a huge help but thought it helps enough letting you know you donít need to break the bank if you donít want to. IMO, if you have a set up that can handle winter sea bass, you have a combo that can handle nice water tile fishing. I am sure the guys who are hard core into this fishery could add more, add specifics and have their opinions.

I was out in the Hudson in December, I got bored drifting around with few bites. I used a Shimano Trevala rod, my torsa and tied a rig more like a ling rig with butterfish chunks for bait. I was trying for ling for bait, I filled the box with tilefish.