NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!


Message Board


Anyone fishing this weekend? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey


Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:26 PM
Hookmanski's Avatar
Hookmanski Hookmanski is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Glen Garbage
Posts: 327
Default Anyone fishing this weekend?

Happy new year boys! I work for a major broadcasting company so I've been swamped so far this year and haven't been able to get out for my first outing of 2018. I FINALLY have a weekend off this upcoming weekend, so I'm looking to rip some lips on Saturday!

That being said, I'm not too sure what I'm going to do yet. I've never ice fished before and have no ice fishing gear, but I've always wanted to give it a try. At the same time, with this random heat wave, will the ice still be safe by Saturday?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a spot that still has some open water? Most of my local Hunterdon county spots are still mostly frozen over. I'm pretty much willing to drive anywhere in the state.

If anyone wants to meet up and do some fishing I think that'd be a fun way to start the year! Since joining the site last year I've yet to meet any of you guys in person.

Let me know! Hope everyone has a happy, healthy and safe new year, full of ripped lips. Tight lines!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Chrisper4694's Avatar
Chrisper4694 Chrisper4694 is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: hopatcong, nj
Posts: 3,177
Default Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

a lot of the ice was 9-11" last sunday (probably got thicker until wednesday) 3 days of warmth with some rain won't make it unsafe most likely, but always have to check first. certain streams and rivers might open up for fishing too. saturday night gets cold again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Rich196's Avatar
Rich196 Rich196 is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Jackson, NJ
Posts: 312
Default Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

Me and the wife are hitting Round Valley this Saturday. We would prefer Spruce Run, but I doubt the lake opened up from the ice yet, so RV it is, and NO, it's not frozen, for some reason it doesn't get iced over much. (thank god for us open water guy's...LOL_) maybe see you out there. Rich
__________________
ďMy biggest worry is that my wife (when Iím dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.Ē
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Hookmanski's Avatar
Hookmanski Hookmanski is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Glen Garbage
Posts: 327
Default Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisper4694 View Post
a lot of the ice was 9-11" last sunday (probably got thicker until wednesday) 3 days of warmth with some rain won't make it unsafe most likely, but always have to check first. certain streams and rivers might open up for fishing too. saturday night gets cold again.
Yeah I'm thinking KLG might be ok to try, but I don't have any ice gear or safety gear so I'm not sure if I'd be able to go out on the ice, unless someone didn't mind me tagging along with them!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich196 View Post
Me and the wife are hitting Round Valley this Saturday. We would prefer Spruce Run, but I doubt the lake opened up from the ice yet, so RV it is, and NO, it's not frozen, for some reason it doesn't get iced over much. (thank god for us open water guy's...LOL_) maybe see you out there. Rich
RV was my backup plan, but I may end up going there first. Only thing is i don't have a boat, so if I see you I'll be waving from the shoreline!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Chrisper4694's Avatar
Chrisper4694 Chrisper4694 is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: hopatcong, nj
Posts: 3,177
Default Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

rvr is so deep the water just keeps cycling as the water cools and it takes a lot of cold to get a layer on it. I wouldn't choose saturday as your first day to ice fish, it's going to be a wet sloppy mess and probably not that enjoyable haha....unless a giant fish comes to the hole to make it all better
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Mark B. Mark B. is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 620
Default Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

Yesterday @ RVR: Several shoreline open water anglers on the main res. One @ the main boat ramp said he caught & released a few in the 1PM hour. He had a hit when I was there @ 4:30PM, but didnít hook up. A boat angler coming in then said he caught & released 1 trout. A 27Ē brown that he claimed was fat. An ice angler coming off the swimming area caught a pickerel & several yellow perch for dinner. Said the ice was 9Ē.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Hookmanski's Avatar
Hookmanski Hookmanski is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Glen Garbage
Posts: 327
Default Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B. View Post
Yesterday @ RVR: Several shoreline open water anglers on the main res. One @ the main boat ramp said he caught & released a few in the 1PM hour. He had a hit when I was there @ 4:30PM, but didnít hook up. A boat angler coming in then said he caught & released 1 trout. A 27Ē brown that he claimed was fat. An ice angler coming off the swimming area caught a pickerel & several yellow perch for dinner. Said the ice was 9Ē.
Thanks for the report! After passing by the rivers this morning and seeing how high they are, I think RV is gonna be the spot. If anyone wants to fish I'll be hiking the shoreline for most of the morning and probably into the afternoon. I'm stopping by The Sporting Life around 8 AM when they open to grab a new license and some extra tackle and I'll be heading to the valley from there. Don't be afraid to say hi!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:10 PM
thmyorke1's Avatar
thmyorke1 thmyorke1 is offline
NJFishing.com Ambassador
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 907
Default Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
Thanks for the report! After passing by the rivers this morning and seeing how high they are, I think RV is gonna be the spot. If anyone wants to fish I'll be hiking the shoreline for most of the morning and probably into the afternoon. I'm stopping by The Sporting Life around 8 AM when they open to grab a new license and some extra tackle and I'll be heading to the valley from there. Don't be afraid to say hi!
Dont count on me but ill try and see you at Sporting Life
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 PM
FASTEDDIE29's Avatar
FASTEDDIE29 FASTEDDIE29 is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KENILWORTH
Posts: 5,848
Talking Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

Tomorrowís conditions donít look ideal! Iíll be out regardless! Itís winter! The ice was 12 inches thick yesterday, maybe we lost 2-3 inches which puts me on a nice 9 inches! Iíll be Jigging somewhere guaranteed! Watch the edges and drain holes Ice fishermen! Old 8 inch holes turn into manholes during these warm ups! Be safe and catch em up!!!
__________________
"Go BIG or go HOME"
"STRAIGHT OUT OF JERZEY"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Chrisper4694's Avatar
Chrisper4694 Chrisper4694 is offline
NJFishing.com Old Salt
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: hopatcong, nj
Posts: 3,177
Default Re: Anyone fishing this weekend?

Well i was wrong. I couldnt find a way on any ice without a full plank.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.