NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Angler or mangler, fluke gut hook removal - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thumbs up Angler or mangler, fluke gut hook removal

With the 18" minimum regulation here, yet again, it has become almost impossible not to catch short fish. And, sometimes those fish caught you a little off guard and inhaled your offering, resulting in a gut hooked shortie.

Keep the pliers in the tackle box. Far too many times I have seen guys rip the hook, gills, partial jaw and all out, then throw the already dead fish back. Sure the pliers may be necessary if the hook came through hard, bony, part of the jaw. However, in almost all other instances, the method I'll explain, can return the short to grow and perhaps make the box later in the season.

Once the fish is on board, either in the net or on deck. Pick it up firmly using either hand just under the gill plates, in the middle of the fish. Use enough pressure to get a firm grip, but not too hard as to squeeze all the stuffing out of it. Having hold with one hand, use the other hand to pull the line taught. Sometimes the fish will open it's mouth. If the mouth opens try to determine if the fish is hooked right or left. You can tell right or left by what white or dark outside. the shank is pressed up against. If the mouth doesn't open, this will help the determination and is the next step anyhow. With your free hand slide your thumb along the underside of the fishes mouth gillplate beginning at the top (teeth) end. It is important to begin at the top, so you can avoid touching the gills. Once you feel the gillplate beginning to open apply a good amount of outward, towards you, and downward pressure. The mouth will fully open as well as the other gillplate. Slide your thumb and two or three fingers under the respective gillplates again using caution not to touch the gills. Determine as above which side the shank is on. Then switch hands if necessary to hold under the gillplates. Then with the freehand come under the gillplate and grasp the shank with the thumb and forefinger. You want to turn the hook down towards the tail, while backing out the barb which generally pops when you push it forward and out the fishes open mouth. In most all cases the only damage done is a small hole where the point and barb were caught in the gut. The gills remain unscathed, and when the fluke re-enters the water they are pretty spry and swim off in good health.

This can be a little difficult at first, but try for the accuracy and with a little practice the speed will come.

Oh yeah, I know they can be pretty slippery. If you hold it as explained you shouldn't have a problem. Try not to hold them with a towel. They need their slime just as we need clothes. It is their protection.

This procedure might be better explained with illustrations or, better yet, a how to video. None of which I have, nor could I produce. If anyone does or can that would be a great help.

Hope this helps.

Pete