NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tuna jigging reel recommendations? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Tuna jigging reel recommendations?

Looking at getting a jigging reel for dropping butterfly jigs and etc for tuna. What are your favorites?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Tuna jigging reel recommendations?

I use a Newell 540 with 50 lb izorline mono. Caught an 180 lb big eye on it 2 years ago.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCinerie View Post
I use a Newell 540 with 50 lb izorline mono. Caught an 180 lb big eye on it 2 years ago.
Jesus... that's nuts. How long that take?

Matt, so many to choose from... I'm a talica fan. Accurate reels too. Budget is key. What's your range?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:36 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I'd like to keep it under $550, I was looking at Okuma Makiara 10ii and 15ii, anyone have experience with them?
Old 07-24-2017, 12:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAdelfio View Post
I'd like to keep it under $550, I was looking at Okuma Makiara 10ii and 15ii, anyone have experience with them?
Not a jigging reel.
Check accurate or maxel
Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I use either a Avet HX 2-speed or a Penn US113N depending on my mood. The Penn is single speed, star drag, but attractively priced around $200.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 07-25-2017, 11:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Can someone explain what is a tuna jigging reel ? I think I've been using reels tuna jigging for years ,Penn 113H - 114H , Int'l 30's - 50's , Fathoms 25N - 30 Daiwa 30t's Sealines , 50h's , Alutecnos 20 & 30/50 , Duel 30 & 50's ,among others including Saragosa , & Penn 9500 spinners .
Landed tuna on all of em' at one time or another some on PB's most on my own boats or friends . Even fought a gt for a few hours hooked up on a cod jig by accident , actually beat the fish but jig hook finally gave out with fish in site this was on a Penn 6/0 senator w/ 60# mono .
So my ? Are these all jigging reels or did I catch most of my tuna on the wrong reel ?
Sure just kidding I fully understand today's reels offer lighter smaller reels such as my 30t's that make jigging somewhat easier & offer the capacity for braid & drag quality to best most tuna .
PB's demand a differ t reel than a cockpit boat that can be moved to follow a big fish if required .
Unfortunately u must gear up with a reel to how ur going to tuna fish & how often u go,
If u intend a going often then it's always best to obtain a dedicated jigging outfit if once in a while then a chunking outfit will do in my opinion !
Talk with someone who has expierance in this area like a sponsor sport shop , they will gear u correctly & probably save u $$$ in long run .
Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Check out the Avet Raptor Series as well... Small light weight reels with twin drags and twice the drag capacity of the non raptor reels.

Avet recently came out with their G2 series as well... They increased the drag rating 50% and they also have a much better anti reverse system which people complained about when jigging with the older models.

They have a 10% off sale going on through their dealer network this month too and many of our sponsors carry them in addition to the knowledge needed to match the reel up to a specialty jigging rod.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-25-2017, 01:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Tuna jigging reel recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Jesus... that's nuts. How long that take?

Matt, so many to choose from... I'm a talica fan. Accurate reels too. Budget is key. What's your range?
45/60 minutes!!!! just keep constant pressure on him!!! death spin to the top!!! Used the rail on the Mimi to help a little.

BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4362.jpg (10.6 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by BCinerie; 07-26-2017 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Add pic
Old 07-29-2017, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I really like the Shimano Torsa 16. They're discontinued and a good used one now can cost more than it did new but, probably still within your budget.