NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Keeping Green Crabs Alive - Crab Hotel - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Keeping Green Crabs Alive - Crab Hotel

If you're like me you're probably chomping at the bit to start Blackfishing.

Although the regs right now only allow you to keep one 14 inch fish, it's nice to not have to wait until November 16th when you can keep 6. Nothing like listening to football game on the radio and catching some Blackfish in a tee shirt.

Most tackle stores will start stocking green crabs in the coming weeks. They are a fairly inexpensive and hearty bait and easy to keep, so when I find them, I usually buy more then I need for a days fishing (a full or half bushel) and keep them at the boat in a Crab Hotel.

Here is how you make a Crab Hotel.....

- Get a 5 gallon spackle bucket with a lid that is easy to take on an off and a stury handle.
- Get an electic drill with a 3/4 inch bit a drill holes all along the sides and bottom spaced 4 or 5 inches apart. These holes allow water to flow through the hotel.
- Tie a line around the handle and you are done.

Now for a few tips to keep your crabs alive. As mentioned above they are very hearty baits and if cared for properly will stay alive for weeks.
- You only want enough scope in the line to keep the crabs a foot or so below the water surface but not on the bottom. If they are in the mud they will die. Remember to account for low tide.
- Do not overcrowd the hotel or the crabs will die. 2/3 is full occupancy.
- If you are plan to keep the crabs alive for extended periods of time, you will want to through in a fish rack every 3 days or so to keep them fed.

Hope this helps some of you that are new to Blackfishing.

Can't wait to get our there and am headed to the garage as I write this to make my Crab Hotel where the crabs " can check in, but they can't check out"

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area