NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Couple river catches before the rain came -- chunk smallie and porker walleye - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Couple river catches before the rain came -- chunk smallie and porker walleye

Fished last thursday and Saturday nights before the rain came. Thursday I managed a beefy smallie just under 20" that ate a 4" swim shad. She fought well with many leaps, trying to spit the hook to no avail. Swam off nicely.

Back at it Saturday nite. Hit a few different spots. Managed one thick 24" eye on a 6" stick bait. Had a few nudges and one solid whack that didnt stick. Still went home a happy dude...

Back at it once things settle... catch em' up! Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180909_002249.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	128085   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180910_225825.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	128086  
Old 09-11-2018, 08:09 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Couple river catches before the rain came -- chunk smallie and porker walleye

Gosh the elusive raritan 20" smb and chunk walleye. Legend has it, they only come out at night... lol

Nice fish, both look badass. I got a good feeling about this rain and near 15 degree temp drop.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Couple river catches before the rain came -- chunk smallie and porker walleye

Great looking river specimens broski!!!
Old 09-11-2018, 04:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Couple river catches before the rain came -- chunk smallie and porker walleye

Very Nice
Old 09-11-2018, 05:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Couple river catches before the rain came -- chunk smallie and porker walleye

Cool color on those fishes !

Just watched the USGS gauge on the river go from 84* to 70* in just a few days ! River has been on the "cool-ish" side all summer thanks to the never ending rain, but with all things being equal I will take a river filled with water as opposed to a bone dry one.
Looking at the date it won't be long now until the streams start getting choked with leaves, tough to fish at times. Fall stocking up on the N and S branches is right around the corner also. Speaking of which I guess it's that time of year again to push for fall stocking on the main stem of the river, as well as an extension on spring stocking. Last year surplus trout were put in the river in the fall, small ones like 4 inches long near Piscataway, no word on if it will happen this year yet.
Still waiting on Rutgers Marine and Coastal Sciences to go public with their fish ladder counts from the last 5 years, I saw the numbers, impressive. Speaking of fish ladders, it was nice of New Jersey American Water to slam the door shut on the ladder in August. There may not me a lot of fish movement in the summer but I mean really, they couldn't just wait till early fall like November.
Once agian I don't have any fish photos to share just out doing what I do along with the help of Luke of course up on the Lamington and main stem in Bridgewater.
Really hoping for a repeat performance this year as years past around November the trout seem to appear out of nowhere, that I am really looking forward to.
Also, hope that hurricane stuff stays South of us, NO ONE needs 3 feet of rain !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1255.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	128093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0240.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	128094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0227.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	128095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5458.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	128096  

Last edited by AndyS; 09-13-2018 at 09:38 PM..
Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Great fish as always!!!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

ahh sooo jelly. nice catches as always
Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Damn nice fish.. I gotta start going out at night more often!