NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Avoiding Cuts - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:18 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Avoiding Cuts

I picked up fishing again this year after a ~20+ year hiatus and I've got the bug. I go about once a week, and every time I come home, that evening I've got ~10 or so fresh cuts on my hands. They sting pretty good for a good day or two, and the first night in particular is annoyingly painful. Trying to cook with lime / lemon / garlic that evening is not a fun experience.

Anyone have tips on how to do a better job preventing these cuts? Does it just come with experience? I've been pricked by spikes on fish (porgies seabass, sea robins through the towel), grabbing my braided line, cut on bones when gutting a fish, accidents with the fillet knife...
Old 08-12-2018, 07:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Avoiding Cuts

Cant help you avoid the cuts but when they do happen crazy glue is your best friend.

.......and why are ya hands getting so cut up to begin with?

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

For Sea Robins especially the bigger ones, lip them like a bass. You will avoid the spines and it is easier to unhook them imo.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotredrum View Post
I picked up fishing again this year after a ~20+ year hiatus and I've got the bug. I go about once a week, and every time I come home, that evening I've got ~10 or so fresh cuts on my hands. They sting pretty good for a good day or two, and the first night in particular is annoyingly painful. Trying to cook with lime / lemon / garlic that evening is not a fun experience.

Anyone have tips on how to do a better job preventing these cuts? Does it just come with experience? I've been pricked by spikes on fish (porgies seabass, sea robins through the towel), grabbing my braided line, cut on bones when gutting a fish, accidents with the fillet knife...
Use a wet rag when handling live fish.
Invest in a fillet glove for cleaning fish.
I've been cut by line & fish spines but never 10 times in one day.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Without watching you handle a fish it is hard to say. But I would suggest you settle down, maybe you are just a bit over excited when catching? A lighter touch, and watch how you are grabbing the fish along with the wet towel and filet glove, mentioned above, should help.
I usually don't have a problem until winter Togging. Those crabs sure can get you. When I do come home with cuts I usually rinse my hands in Regular Listerine, it is actually an antiseptic so it helps keep the cuts clean.

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 08-29-2018, 07:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Without watching you handle a fish it is hard to say. But I would suggest you settle down, maybe you are just a bit over excited when catching? A lighter touch, and watch how you are grabbing the fish along with the wet towel and filet glove, mentioned above, should help.
I usually don't have a problem until winter Togging. Those crab shells sure can get you. When I do come home with cuts I usually rinse my hands in Regular Listerine, it is actually an antiseptic so it helps keep the cuts clean.

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 09-01-2018, 05:04 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks all for the tips. I've been out a few more times now and usually get away with 2-3 cuts a trip now, which can obviously be improved upon more, but I'm getting there. Need to be more careful tying braided line to the barrel swivel, around the gills of fish, and knicking myself with the fillet knife, but I've gotten a lot better at taking fish off my line I think. Knowing where to grab them helps a lot I think.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Happens to me also. I think as said the fishes spines seem to find my hands more often than the fillet knife. I've got to do a better job in handling the fish.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Its those baby soft hands you got!! haha I know my hands will get cuts when they are wet and i am tying a knot and have the line wrapped around hands. It will cut into my pinky and index finger pretty good. I hate wearing gloves so i deal with it

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:58 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I use to get the worst cuts on my finger from surf casting lures with braid, especially when it got cold out. I used a single baseball or golf glove on my casting hand and stopped getting cut up. not sure if this helps.