NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Is it just me...? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Is it just me...?

I am so bored with the conspiracy theories.

Yes, you are right folks this is just another tax

First off ladies and gents, there is no magic permit you buy or spend 3000 dollars on. The permit has nothing to do with the RSA program and is a scientific exemption permit that is issued for any vessel, commercial, recreational or research that is harvesting fish for any purpose at any time outside of the normal regs. They existed before the RSA program and they will exist after the RSA program.

The permits are FREE.

Let me repeat this for all who STILL do not understand this program. The permits have NOTHING TO DO with the RSA program other than the state must issue it.....FOR FREE....so you can harvest the RSA quota or do ANY OTHER TYPE OF RESEACRH OR HARVEST FOR A MILLION DIFFERENT REASONS.

What is PAID FOR is the small percentage of quota that is set aside each year to fund research. No one was forced to buy it, no one ever bitched when only the commercial sector paid the money that funded the research and in return got to harvest those pounds and try to make back their money plus perhaps even a profit (god forbid)

No one bitched when the percentage of recreational quota was being harvested by only commercials. This specific program has been going on since 2002 folks, thanks for joining us.

Now that we can actually have recreational fishermen harvest the very same quota they donated to fund research projects, people are all up in arms.

Now, to my cousin Bobby.

Bob, remember that slot limit study we did on several different boats throughout the state including yours back in 2006? The one where you fished a bunch of trips at different regs?

Where do you think the money came from to fund the VERY FIRST RECREATIONAL RESEARCH PROJECT???

You guessed it, the RSA program.

Wanna know where the money came from to fund two of the most recent Fluke studies that are helping contribute to the work SSFFF is doing?

You guessed it, the RSA program.

But yes, it is a conspiracy.

If you folks want, show up at the damn MAFMC meeting that has happened every year for the past 9 years and tell them you would rather have the extra 2 days or so of fishing that quota would give you if added back into the total state quota. Tell them the MILLIONS of dollars of research that has been done over the past decade was not worth your two or three frigging days of fishing. We are talking no more than 3% of the total quota (that's rec and commercial combined)

As far as Fluke goes that would mean 3% is taken off the top. If you want it back, then recs get 40% of that 3%, of which NJ gets 39% of that 40%.

That's it ladies and gents. And, this is not some"test" by the gov't to see what they can charge for since
THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT GET ONE FRIGGIN' DIME OF THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

So those "bastards" that are charging you are the ****ing scientists!!!!!!! You know, the universities and research facilities that are doing the science we have all been screaming for. They get 100% of the funds raised from this program

Last edited by CaptTB; 09-07-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What I noticed, Tony, is that the people getting overly excited are the Fishermen who own boats and don't go on PB's. And the PB owners who didn't pay to participate in RSA. Those excluded are the ones most offended.

As a 50/50 charter/pb fishermen, and having double checked what you told us. I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to fish more, AND knowing that my money is going towards not only my favorite boats, but towards a better understanding of how we can manage our fisheries and still have our favorite hobbies. It's pretty cool in my opinion. And it's 3 weeks of one type of fish. Not that huge a deal I think.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:16 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

It's All About Money!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Site Sponsor

.... If $$ can extend a fluke season why not give the average rec fisherman a chance ..let say a research stamp for $30 for 3 weeks??

This is what I am talking about. "It's a trap", as someone else put it.

Willing to put up $30 for 3 extra weeks? Wait till the bean counters get wind of that. Holy crap! a new way to shake down the public!

Tony, the govt isn't getting any $ now but once they see we are willing to pay to fish....! Again, I do not blame any who paid --but this isn't good. I've been going to fisheries meeting since the 80s. I remember the first time someone suggested a 17 inch fluke and the public went nuts --ready to tear the building down. But just 10 years later we stuck with an 18" fluke --and we are lucky compared to NY.
http://www.gamblerfishing.net
captbogan@aol.com
732-295-7569

Last edited by captbogan; 09-07-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 11:07 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

It's all about money!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

First, with all due respect CaptTB (and I have an immense amount of respect for you), I believe many of your statements are sarcastic in that post at the top of page 2. However, it's difficult to figure out which ones are the sarcasm and which ones are the facts. It would be helpful to leave out the sarcasm. I'm not trying to be difficult or critical. I just find your post to be confusing...and I truly want to understand.

With that said, I find the whole program to be a slippery slope. If I understand correctly, there is some amount of poundage available to catch to help generate research dollars by some non-government agency. That non-government agency chose to incentivize people to "buy" that poundage by making it available during a period of time where they would not normally be allowed to keep fluke. In order for this to work, the government had to make the poundage available to the program and make available special permits to those same people who "bought" the poundage.

If I understand correctly, then I really do think that's a slippery slope. Albeit for what we all believe is the correct cause, THIS TIME. I wonder if the program didn't exist, would there be a larger poundage allocated to all? If not, then what happened is that the total available catch is reduced to allow for this program. That's a tax in my book, no matter how you feel about how those funds are used.

Then again, I find this all very confusing and may be completely wrong in what I just wrote.

Last edited by JonDevin; 09-07-2010 at 11:14 AM..
Old 09-07-2010, 11:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

From what tony said it would equate to one extra day fishing maybe two? If the RSA didn't exist.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH
What I noticed, Tony, is that the people getting overly excited are the Fishermen who own boats and don't go on PB's. And the PB owners who didn't pay to participate in RSA. Those excluded are the ones most offended.
Not sure how you came to this conclusion. I, for one, spend mucho dollars on PB's and Charters, but do have my own Kayak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH
As a 50/50 charter/pb fishermen, and having double checked what you told us. I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to fish more, AND knowing that my money is going towards not only my favorite boats, but towards a better understanding of how we can manage our fisheries and still have our favorite hobbies. It's pretty cool in my opinion. And it's 3 weeks of one type of fish. Not that huge a deal I think.
There seems to be a connection between the program and the government, albeit a subtle one. I do believe this is just another tax. It's a tax that directly funds research that helps us. With that said, I believe it's our own responsibility to take care of our own... and that means supporting various agencies and organizations that do the research we need and fight for our cause. But I don't believe it should be a tax that doesn't allow all boats to compete equally. Sure they have equal rights to compete for the RSA quota, but they all can't have the quota. That means some fish and some don't. It all just seems very Machiavellian to me.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i love the "goverment won't get a dime" thing.they get a cut on everything and
unless you are gonna follow that money yourself{and please don't show me on
paper because print don't mean sh*t.its just another tax.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDevin
First, with all due respect CaptTB (and I have an immense amount of respect for you), I believe many of your statements are sarcastic in that post at the top of page 2. However, it's difficult to figure out which ones are the sarcasm and which ones are the facts. It would be helpful to leave out the sarcasm. I'm not trying to be difficult or critical. I just find your post to be confusing...and I truly want to understand.
What sarcasm? Everything posted above is 100% factual, with the exception of the obviously sarcastic "you are right, it is just another tax" with the rolleyes next to it.

Quote:
With that said, I find the whole program to be a slippery slope. If I understand correctly, there is some amount of poundage available to catch to help generate research dollars by some non-government agency. That non-government agency chose to incentivize people to "buy" that poundage by making it available during a period of time where they would not normally be allowed to keep fluke. In order for this to work, the government had to make the poundage available to the program and make available special permits to those same people who "bought" the poundage.
I am afraid you do not understand correctly, but you have a basic grasp on it.