NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke - when to set the hook - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:09 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: Fluke - when to set the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyHD View Post
Set that hook like it's your job! Fluke are very aggressive and will chase the bait if you miss on the first few swings.
Yes they will.... Was out the other day and they'd let go after a hook set and 20 cranks and hit it again while I was reeling it in to check the bait.

However, that's not the case every day....Sometimes all you are going to feel is a extra weight and no shake at all and they just lay on it and won't chase it if you pull it away. This is when dead sticking works, even with bucktails.

Different every day...

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-22-2016, 05:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Set the hook once you feel it every time when fishing with Gulp. When fluke hit they either take it from the get go or just nibble on it, no inbetween with fluke. I've never had better hooksets by letting them eat it with Gulp personally. Of course I've seen them lay on it many times/be sluggish, but letting them just sit on it for a bit never helped. This is for just gulp, not bait fishing.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:06 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I agree with the above 2 posts. Gerry has a good point which I have experienced on some days where the fish just were not being aggressive. On those days a nice bait presentation dead sticking in a rod holder would be a saving grace to a picky bite.

Happened at least a dozen times where I was bucktailing and could not keep up with the dead stick rod dragging strip bait while the jigs weren't producing much. I like to rely on the bucktail since I swear by the gulp but sometimes old school rig with a strip of bluefish or squid out fishes the jigs.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 06-27-2017, 03:04 PM
NJFishing.com Member

we had a nice day fishing off the wharf today me and my mom, the flounder really like the fresh clams on the hook. the largest fish was 17 inch at 2.56 lb. a nice fish to catch in our waters. we caught 12 nice flounder.

Last edited by Halibuttech; 06-27-2017 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: missing words