NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

50 Pound Bass - Would You Release It? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

View Poll Results: Would you release it?
Yes 74 64.91%
No 16 14.04%
Not sure, will decide after I land it 24 21.05%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default 50 Pound Bass - Would You Release It?

I know that we are all in search of the 50 pound club but wondering how many people would take some pictures and release it? I am still trying to catch it and know what I would do...
Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: 50 Pound Bass - Would You Release It?

Quick picture and release. Of course no bass near 50 lbs is in any danger from me as my pb is only 27 lbs.........
Old 05-21-2014, 08:03 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Interesting, controversial and somewhat emotional topic here.....

I would release it.... For those of you in the same boat, I'd be interested in hearing others opinions as to why we are so protective of Stripers and have no issues keeping other fish for the table like Fluke.

In my case I think some of it has to do with fishing through the 70s and early 80s when the Stripers were hard to come by. These fish and the people that chased and caught them were put up on a pedestal. Having said this, I have and still do keep a few smaller ones during the year for the table, but when it comes to one of the big girls I feel differently. Why do I feel this way? Can't really put my finger on it.

BTW - To each his own and I have no issues with people taking their legal limits of fish. It's a personal choice. I fish a lot and for those that only fish occationally, I totally understand them wanting to take some fresh fish home but here again, I feel differently when it comes to taking a big fish. I know a lot of people like this.... A small Striper comes on the deck and it goes right into the box without a thought.... A bigger one comes on the deck and the guys are standing around arguing about releasing it and getting pretty emotional about it. Why??

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 05-21-2014, 08:23 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Couple pics and off she goes. Memory that lasts!!!

"Team Skunk Off.. We put meat in the Box"

Money talks--Mine always says goodbye
Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Pictures and release.

"For the rich there is therapy for the rest of us there is fishing"

"A bad day of fishing turns into a good day of drinking" ����
Old 05-21-2014, 08:42 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: 50 Pound Bass - Would You Release It?

MY p/b is 33lbs but if I was lucky enough to catch 50 lb fish I would surely release it.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Interesting, controversial and somewhat emotional topic here.....

I would release it.... For those of you in the same boat, I'd be interested in hearing others opinions as to why we are so protective of Stripers and have no issues keeping other fish for the table like Fluke.

In my case I think some of it has to do with fishing through the 70s and early 80s when the Stripers were hard to come by. These fish and the people that chased and caught them were put up on a pedestal. Having said this, I have and still do keep a few smaller ones during the year for the table, but when it comes to one of the big girls I feel differently. Why do I feel this way? Can't really put my finger on it.

BTW - To each his own and I have no issues with people taking their legal limits of fish. It's a personal choice. I fish a lot and for those that only fish occationally, I totally understand them wanting to take some fresh fish home but here again, I feel differently when it comes to taking a big fish. I know a lot of people like this.... A small Striper comes on the deck and it goes right into the box without a thought.... A bigger one comes on the deck and the guys are standing around arguing about releasing it and getting pretty emotional about it. Why??

for the most part Stripers are one of the few fish that we control more than the Commercial guys do.
They along with big blackfish, seems to hold a little more respect for how long it took to get that big.

A smaller bass takes alot less time to replentish its loss, and there are many more of those smaller fish.
heck 100 fish days with schoolies isnt uncommon, but your not going to have that with 50 pounders.

The fight is drastically different and seeing a fish over 50 pounds on the deck its sheer size is incredible.

I think the rest comes down to having to bang ones chest, and I think most guys go though that too. I know I did.

Thankfully im past that now, actually caring less who knows im catching or not.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Not an issue for me but how would you know it was really over 50 without weighing it? And what damage would that do prior to release? Just length and girth and go with an estimate? I'd think trying to hang that sucker off my scale would do more harm them good if my intention was to release, which it would be. Add fight time, unhook time, measure time, picture time and exitement time next thing you know you got a fish that might swim away but who knows its fate 20 minutes later
Old 05-21-2014, 01:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My biggest bass is 35lbs and she swam away healthy i throw multiple bass bank of all sizes when i hook that 5o il be the guy releasing her And4 swimming along next to her after the release just to watch her swim! I def have a special connection with stripers but i love releasing big fish of all kinds!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Talking Re: 50 Pound Bass - Would You Release It?

I caught a 54 lb last year on a party boat. Mate gaff the fish so I t wasn't going to make it. It taste like a piece of wood. No matter how you cook it. I tried blackened, lemon butter, poaching. Smoking, pan searing, deep frying. Nothing seems to have the flavor and texture of a nice 28.5

Would you like a skinny 28.5 year. Or a 50+ fatty with a pot belly.