NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Washing down a conventional reel after use - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-13-2014, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Washing down a conventional reel after use

What MrAC said. As far as special solutions....just wash the reel with fresh water guys come on! Fishing used to be so simple and now we have to buy salt away? Last time I checked salt dissolved in water, but that may have changed over the years

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My personal preference? Light soap and water spray at the dock with drag tight (not torqued down). Air dry like that. Stand them up at home and back off drag almost entirely. Light but covering spray of corrosion X spray. I've heard WD 40 traps water in the reel and the other doesn't? IDK. All I know is they get med use all season without issues. That said I also carry a spare every trip just in case.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I believe that WD40 dries into a sticky film that would impede function of small moving parts.
The reason I've heard for tightening your drag is to help prevent grit from entering.
I personally wash the reel down with light soap and then gentle fresh water spray.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

WD40 work its way into the reel and dissolve grease, it is NOT a lubricant and eventually your gears will grind dry.

Lock down drag, very gentle stream of water from the tap or a spray bottle, towel dry, back off drag, air dry, and oil the knob/spool/roller bearings and worm gears.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I usually just spray them down with a light mist. Spray it with Real Magic call it a day.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	75018  

"For the rich there is therapy for the rest of us there is fishing"

"A bad day of fishing turns into a good day of drinking" ����
Old 08-28-2014, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980 View Post
You can do the same for star drags, but the drag stack on a star drag reel is more contained and not as open as the drag washer in a lever drag reel.
Sure, but stuff can still work in there. Tightening the drag for cleaning is is cheap insurance.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I usually just spray them down with a light mist. Spray it with Real Magic call it a day.....
I use PB Blaster 100% silicone spray, same stuff, fraction of the price
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PBBlaster.jpg (7.9 KB, 213 views)
Old 09-10-2014, 05:22 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Most of todays reels have drain holes or openings in the frames. If your blasting a reel with a hose, your forcing water into it. This will break down the grease, lubricants and also rust any parts that may not be intended for a good soaking.

Engaging the drag, ( do not have to crank down all the way, just enough to engage it) will keep water out. If you look at many conventional reels, you will notice that the spool moves as you engage the lever drag handle. You should absolutely engage it to clean and loosen back up to store it, to avoid flat spots in the drag washers.

Whatever you use, make sure it will not eat away at your line ( braid & mono) ... most times a simple dish soap is plenty strong enough.

NEVER leave the drag loose when spraying your reels or at the side of the boat when running out! Saltwater spraying into the reel is the worst thing you can do!