NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Upper Delaware trip info request - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-10-2018, 08:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Upper Delaware trip info request

I know a few of you like to float fish the upper Delaware in NY. I'm considering a trip this spring. When's a good time to go? I'm thinking early May?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:46 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Upper Delaware trip info request

AndyS, Lard Almighty, Wilson and a few others take those trips. Hopefully they’ll chime in or send you a pm. Beautiful scenery and amazing fishery up there.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Upper Delaware trip info request

I'm not a big fan of May up there as the bug hatches are insane !! And when I mean insane it looks like a blizzard, bugs in your eyes, nose, ears, mouth, you name it. I know Lard enjoys the month of May up there but as a spin fisherman I like April and October the best, very few bugs.
Remember the West and East branch sit all winter long with NO angling pressure as the rivers close to all fishing to let the fish spawn. First ones out in April you can find some very hungry stupid fish.
Going in April it is still very quiet up there, and more often than not many areas are still snow covered.
Come the month of May people from all around the country converge on the area as it becomes a fly fishing mecca. Parking lots are full, hotels are sold out, loads of drift boats on the rivers.
You can spend a week up there and never hit the same water twice, both by boat and off the banks. Access to the East and West branch as well as the main stem of the Delaware river is pretty good, throw in the Beaverkill for good measure as well. The Catskills have a lot to offer.
I saw a video from Lard and I think it was filmed in May, SHADAPAHLOOZA.
That's right, American Shad so thick you can't see the bottom of the river. May offers quite a variety, I have caught shad up there in late April too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12188987_10204945002607809_3769435840102805202_n.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	120762  
Old 03-11-2018, 06:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the info. I do some fly fishing so maybe a combo trip would be good.

What spinning lures work well up there?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Spinners,jigs, Rapalas.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I'm not a big fan of May up there as the bug hatches are insane !! And when I mean insane it looks like a blizzard, bugs in your eyes, nose, ears, mouth, you name it. I know Lard enjoys the month of May up there but as a spin fisherman I like April and October the best, very few bugs.
Remember the West and East branch sit all winter long with NO angling pressure as the rivers close to all fishing to let the fish spawn. First ones out in April you can find some very hungry stupid fish.
Going in April it is still very quiet up there, and more often than not many areas are still snow covered.
Come the month of May people from all around the country converge on the area as it becomes a fly fishing mecca. Parking lots are full, hotels are sold out, loads of drift boats on the rivers.
You can spend a week up there and never hit the same water twice, both by boat and off the banks. Access to the East and West branch as well as the main stem of the Delaware river is pretty good, throw in the Beaverkill for good measure as well. The Catskills have a lot to offer.
I saw a video from Lard and I think it was filmed in May, SHADAPAHLOOZA.
That's right, American Shad so thick you can't see the bottom of the river. May offers quite a variety, I have caught shad up there in late April too.
Hey Andy,
Just wondering, when you said the river close to all fishing to let the fish spawn does that mean not even catch and release?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

They CLOSE the rivers up there completely, the majority of the East and West branches. Main stem is open year round but if look at the regs. trout are C&R ONLY after October till the spring.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for the good info.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

WE went the 3rd week in May last year.What a great trip.Met the guide in Callicoon ny then drove with him 10 miles north to LongEddy ny and launched the driftboat there.Had fish on right away.We caught walleye,wild brown trout,rainbow trout,shad and smallmouth bass.We Used blue fox spinners in the one half ounce size.We also used small round jigheads with soft plastics.At the end of our drift close to CAllicoon my nefrew caught a 5to6pound rainbow trout.Hundreds of shad swimming by but you have to have brown color polarized glasses.You won't believe the difference they make.Guide beached the boat Halfway into the trip for lunch which he provided.Bald eagles flying overhead.Only regret was i didn't bring my gopro camera.Can't wait to do it again.All trout have to be released with this guide so check with your guide.The walleye can be kept if legal.shad and smallmouths released.Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by team heat View Post
WE went the 3rd week in May last year.What a great trip.Met the guide in Callicoon ny then drove with him 10 miles north to LongEddy ny and launched the driftboat there.Had fish on right away.We caught walleye,wild brown trout,rainbow trout,shad and smallmouth bass.We Used blue fox spinners in the one half ounce size.We also used small round jigheads with soft plastics.At the end of our drift close to CAllicoon my nefrew caught a 5to6pound rainbow trout.Hundreds of shad swimming by but you have to have brown color polarized glasses.You won't believe the difference they make.Guide beached the boat Halfway into the trip for lunch which he provided.Bald eagles flying overhead.Only regret was i didn't bring my gopro camera.Can't wait to do it again.All trout have to be released with this guide so check with your guide.The walleye can be kept if legal.shad and smallmouths released.Hope this helps.
I have fished that same area with more than likely the same guy.
wonder how many times those trout have been caught over the years.
if they were tagged they would look like porcupines

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club