NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Striper setup - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Striper setup

Partial quote from Bob:
""Penn Jigmaster 500 combo,... Cheap, and will manhandle any striper you can hook up.. 7 Foot Penn slammer rod is included, and they are very nice rods.
New between $80-$100 for rod and reel""
I have been using this set-up, among others,since 1978. A friend and I each bought one that Fall.
No memory of what I paid. Still serves me well to this day.

Partial quote from Gerry :
"If you decide to go conventional and with Avet, I'd spend the extra money on the MC cast control."
I bought the Avet SX-MC w/ a Fish Poison rod two Christmases ago for my adult son,
as his thumb is less-educated than mine.
He loves it. I'd love to get another.

Tight Lines Gentlemen.
Tom K.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKaye View Post
Partial quote from Bob:
""Penn Jigmaster 500 combo,... Cheap, and will manhandle any striper you can hook up.. 7 Foot Penn slammer rod is included, and they are very nice rods.
New between $80-$100 for rod and reel""
I have been using this set-up, among others,since 1978. A friend and I each bought one that Fall.
No memory of what I paid. Still serves me well to this day.

Partial quote from Gerry :
"If you decide to go conventional and with Avet, I'd spend the extra money on the MC cast control."
I bought the Avet SX-MC w/ a Fish Poison rod two Christmases ago for my adult son,
as his thumb is less-educated than mine.
He loves it. I'd love to get another.

Tight Lines Gentlemen.
Tom K.
Tom - I guess the million dollar question is, if you had both these set ups, which one would you prefer to fish with?

If you get one of these lighter smaller lever drags in your hands paired with a nice light rod, the difference is night and day. I'm not saying you'll catch more fish but they sure do feel nice in your hands.

Don't want to seem like a tackle snob... I've owned several Penn jig master and the like reels over the years... A lot of charter and party boats use them as their boat rods and with good reason, they are practically indestructable. They are kind of like the old chevy 6 cylinders.... They get the job done and always run but they never run great

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Abu Garcia REVO NACL 50, paired to a Penn Battalion BATIN1530C70.

Fished this set up this spring for stripers, and also used it for bucktailing fluke with jigs to 12 Oz .

It is so light in your hand it FLOATS, and had plenty of backbone to land stripers to 40 pounds quickly.
The REVO is a winch , and with its corrosion resistant finish the reels I have had since last summer look like they just came out of the box.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 09-02-2014, 08:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I like a 7' MH or H action rod matched with Calcutta 400 or similar spooled with #20 mono and use either a #25 or #30 leader.

I've been party boat striper fishing (Spring clamming/jigging & Fall jigging with the same 2 GLoomis SWR843C (now remodeled as the GLoomis Pro Blue PBR843C) and the same 2 Shimano Calcutta 400s (I prefer the levelwind, but that's me) with a power/live bait handle since 1996. Reels are serviced every year, drag washers replaced as needed. Other than some boat rash both reels are in fine working order. Both rods/reels have caught over 1000 bass/bluefish
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Spinning
penn battle w a shimano terez
conventional
avet sx w a shimano terez.
wont break the bank and a great off the shelf rod.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

[QUOTE=Gerry Zagorski;372932]Tom - I guess the million dollar question is, if you had both these set ups, which one would you prefer to fish with?

I prefer the Avet & Fish Poison. When my son is not available to fish,
I "borrow" it as he stores it in my garage.
TK
Old 10-03-2014, 05:46 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I use a mojo musky rod med heavy 7' 6" and a daiwa saltiest 20 or 30 ha with 50 lb braid It perfect for bass and blackfish this set up works great on head boats.