NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Flouro Leader vs. Straight up Braid - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Flouro Leader vs. Straight up Braid

Hi All!

This year is started using flouro leaders a lot more often. Berkley Vanish 6-8lb to be exact. I was using it mainly for trout drifting and spinning, and LMBs in clear water.

Now, flouro is supposed to be less stretchy but I have had the worst luck setting hooks since I started using it. I know after a while, flouro stays stretched and compromises the line strength but the line was newer, and i can tell when it's loosing its strength.

So am I crazy in thinking that I'm loosing more fish on flouro than braid, or that the flouro is causing poor hook sets?

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Flouro Leader vs. Straight up Braid

Braid has about 3 to. 10% depending on brand & content.
Fluoro product is similar to mono in some ways.
It is based on carbon content & some can have a mono content , therefore 100% fluoro content is generally the best !
Fluoro has about 15 to 20 % stretch where monos can go to 30 % +!
If UR missing fish with a short fluoro leader attached to braid then u should have more than enough to set any hook since UR leader is oh a few feet in length,
Bear in mind lighter test fluoros will allow for more stretch but not anywhere near what u would expierance with similar monos !!
I fish with fluoro UL lines exclusively not leaders ,complete lines.
No issues at all and have taken numerous trout over 5#'s to 9#'s over the past four seasons all on 4# line .
The best fluoro lite line by far is Blackwater not cheap just the best !!
If problem persists ditch the braid go all mono or fluoro, braid has no benefit if UR stream trout fishing , it's the last product u need to ultra light fish effectively !
Old 08-27-2014, 05:39 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Flouro Leader vs. Straight up Braid

Thanks for the info Capt. Lou!

Going to try a spool full of flouro, at least for my UL reel. For LMB, I will prob just use braid alone, because it has always worked well for me.

Thanks again!