NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

"1st annual njf ice contest 2015" - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: "1st annual njf ice contest 2015"

All you guys who never ice fished before this is a PRIME OPPORTUNITY for you to experience it and learn the ropes so to say from some of the Vets on our site.
Ice fishing is not extremely expensive to get the basic stuff required. I personally am not too interested in jigging but will do it on occasion. I prefer to use Tip Ups with bait and wait. Here's some of the basic stuff I would recommend:
1> Some form of ice creepers is a must, There are a lot of different kinds out there to buy or if you wanna go cheap and save your money you can make your own by taking a few inch piece of chain and fasten it to the bottom of your boots with a shoe lace or small rope. Google how to make ice creepers and you will find the video. I thought it was pretty simple and affordable and might make a spare pair for back up.
2> Tip ups you are allowed 5 in NJ or 4 and a rod 5 is nice but 3 or 4 will get you started. There are a ton of these out there too depending on how much you want to spend. Polars are nice. they work well and are not too expensive or you can buy the basic wooden style which I use.
I am 50 years old and have had these since I was a teenager and they still work perfectly. You will need some braided dacron line and some leader material as well as some hooks and terminal tackle which most of you prob already have (Hooks Swivels Split shots).
3> An ice rod if you like they are not very expensive or you can use a small 4/5ft ultralight as well which is what I do if I want to Jig.
4> some type of device to make holes - gas augers/ electric augers/ hand augers/ chopping bar I have even seen people use an axe although I STRONGLY DO NOT Recommend that to make some holes on the ice. Most of the time ice fishing is usually a community sport meaning theres usually others on the ice too. Some will drill holes for you which is what we do at meet and greets but not something to rely on and you are better off if you can make your own.
5>An ice scooper and a depth finder (Weight that clips on your line not a Hummingbird LOL) and you are basically ready to ice fish.
Another good idea is a pair of ice pics for safety and you should try to always fish with someone else just in case of the event of one falling thru the ice.
COMMON SENSE IS FREE USE IT IMO the ice needs to be a solid 4 inches before I will venture out on it. To each his own but why would you wanna risk your life? SAFETY IS PRIORITY ONE!!!!

So if you wanna experience it and want a relief from cabin fever get the basics and come on out!!!! We have several meet and greets on the ice through out the ice season and these are the best ways for you to learn how to ICE EM!!!!
The contest is just something to make the ice season a little bit more fun and you never know BEGINNERS LUCK might just come your way!!!!
Jigman never ice fished till last year and I took him under my wing and look what he did as a first timer in the ice!!!!!!
Any one can feel free to chime in if I left something out or you have some additional pointers for us!!!!

16 Ft Princecraft DLX
9.9 Johnson
HELIX 7 Si GPS

Last edited by GetANet; 11-23-2014 at 02:14 AM..
Old 11-23-2014, 08:32 AM
Site Sponsor

Kinda like your pike from ct lol same thing right lmfao!
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 11-23-2014, 09:13 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey topaz View Post
Kinda like your pike from ct lol same thing right lmfao!
You said you saw rookies pull out pike bigger than the one I posted from a public lake in NJ. I said those fish, (should have pointed out that only 1 was bigger) were caught at a private lake. Did you see any fish over 40 pulled through the ice from a public lake in NJ last year? What do my big fish from CT have to do with this contest? I think most people know I catch big fish in NJ too.

Last edited by saxmatt; 11-23-2014 at 09:24 AM..
Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmatt View Post
You said you saw rookies pull out pike bigger than the one I posted from a public lake in NJ. I said those fish, (should have pointed out that only 1 was bigger) were caught at a private lake. Did you see any fish over 40 pulled through the ice from a public lake in NJ last year? What do my big fish from CT have to do with this contest? I think most people know I catch big fish in NJ too.
Saxmatt why must you beat your chest and tell everyone how great you are you might be good at Ice fishing but your people skills suck it's all about you how about you share what you know instead of telling us you must be doing something wroung and yea buddy I will be fishing my pink tip ups again this year for my Daugther and yes I wear pink underware to good luck this year hope you catch the big one be safe
Old 11-23-2014, 10:23 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ha, I thought I'd spice up the thread with a little trash talk Forgot about the pink tipup thread. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I was just doing a little ball busting but I only fished with you twice so I guess I don't know you well enough to do that. Good luck on the private lake this year, there are definitely some nice ones in there.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Site Sponsor

😘
Rvta member
Knee Deep member
Mike K Guide Service (owner)
https://www.facebook.com/MikeKGuideService/
(908 642-5423
Old 11-23-2014, 04:17 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

To add to mr. Getanets advice i am on theother hand a jiging fanatic my set up is a 5ft st croix with a small spinning reel to match. I will typically buy line made by trilene or p line that makes a special mono that dosnt freeze up as fast. I usually use all types of tiny jigs up to 1/16-1/32oz and there's a ton of different types these usually produce the pan fish along with your occasional large mouth pickerl and other bigger fish. There's also the ice rapala witch over the last two yrs have become a absolute favorite! When jiging its good to tip the jig with some type of grub. mousies are one of the most popular there's also wax worms meal worms butter worms and maggots. Jigin defiantly gives up more action and is good to keep busy imo. if anyone has any questions on jiging the ice more id be happy to help if i can. Crappies and perch are my winter time favorites. You can catch up and over 5o or even a hundred on a good day!

Last edited by kmaty; 11-23-2014 at 04:20 PM..
Old 11-23-2014, 05:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: "1st annual njf ice contest 2015"

Thanx for the input so far fellaz. Remember the more people that join, the bigger the POT gets. Let's go GUYZ and GALZ. If you know someone that lives for ICE FISHING have them join the fun. Weather is looking quite chilly in the north country after this silly heat wave passes. All you gotta do to win is drill a hole, set your bait, and catch something BIG. Plenty of categories out there for every angler to enjoy. Got a couple buddies working on prize donations as well. I have a good hunch that there will be way more PRIZES than what I originally posted.

Got one donation in already and there's not even safe ice yet. Gwl2oneida was kind enough to donate a hand auger. Thanx buddy! You are the man! We the people of the HARDWATER definatley appreciate it! YOU DA MAN!!!

Let's keep it clean boyz, we'll not too clean, LOL!!! Fingers crossed for safe early ICE! FLAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 01:10 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetANet View Post
All you guys who never ice fished before this is a PRIME OPPORTUNITY for you to experience it and learn the ropes so to say from some of the Vets on our site.
Ice fishing is not extremely expensive to get the basic stuff required. I personally am not too interested in jigging but will do it on occasion. I prefer to use Tip Ups with bait and wait. Here's some of the basic stuff I would recommend:
1> Some form of ice creepers is a must, There are a lot of different kinds out there to buy or if you wanna go cheap and save your money you can make your own by taking a few inch piece of chain and fasten it to the bottom of your boots with a shoe lace or small rope. Google how to make ice creepers and you will find the video. I thought it was pretty simple and affordable and might make a spare pair for back up.
2> Tip ups you are allowed 5 in NJ or 4 and a rod 5 is nice but 3 or 4 will get you started. There are a ton of these out there too depending on how much you want to spend. Polars are nice. they work well and are not too expensive or you can buy the basic wooden style which I use.
I am 50 years old and have had these since I was a teenager and they still work perfectly. You will need some braided dacron line and some leader material as well as some hooks and terminal tackle which most of you prob already have (Hooks Swivels Split shots).
3> An ice rod if you like they are not very expensive or you can use a small 4/5ft ultralight as well which is what I do if I want to Jig.
4> some type of device to make holes - gas augers/ electric augers/ hand augers/ chopping bar I have even seen people use an axe although I STRONGLY DO NOT Recommend that to make some holes on the ice. Most of the time ice fishing is usually a community sport meaning theres usually others on the ice too. Some will drill holes for you which is what we do at meet and greets but not something to rely on and you are better off if you can make your own.
5>An ice scooper and a depth finder (Weight that clips on your line not a Hummingbird LOL) and you are basically ready to ice fish.
Another good idea is a pair of ice pics for safety and you should try to always fish with someone else just in case of the event of one falling thru the ice.
COMMON SENSE IS FREE USE IT IMO the ice needs to be a solid 4 inches before I will venture out on it. To each his own but why would you wanna risk your life? SAFETY IS PRIORITY ONE!!!!

So if you wanna experience it and want a relief from cabin fever get the basics and come on out!!!! We have several meet and greets on the ice through out the ice season and these are the best ways for you to learn how to ICE EM!!!!
The contest is just something to make the ice season a little bit more fun and you never know BEGINNERS LUCK might just come your way!!!!
Jigman never ice fished till last year and I took him under my wing and look what he did as a first timer in the ice!!!!!!
Any one can feel free to chime in if I left something out or you have some additional pointers for us!!!!
Great post Dale. You forgot the most important piece of equipment though: a pair of ice picks. You can get them for $5 and they'll save your life. I wear them around my neck when ice is thin and have them in my pocket even when the ice is thick. A spud bar for testing the ice is also important. Ice can go from 4" to 1" very quick and if you're not testing it you can go for a swim. It's also good to have some warm clothes in the car in case you do fall in. Carrying ropes and something that floats in your sled around first and last ice is also a good idea.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

8" strikemaster mora is on its way from the wonderful world of cabelas.