NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

no kingfish this year - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:51 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default no kingfish this year

i dont know about in the ocean but i couldnt catch 1 kingfish in the bays this year, I tried 4 times, twice in great bay and twice at corsons inlet, both places always produce this time of year, on saturday at great bay I managed 20 keeper and probably another 20 throwback blowfish, 4 blues, and a million seabass (2 would be keepers that were released), and not one kingfish. I dont know what kept them out of the bays this year but ive never been skunked with kingfish like this.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: no kingfish this year

I am not an expert, but over the decades, I have seen several members of the Drum family, Kings, Spots,Croakers, and Weakfish disappear for years at a time, and then one year, they are everywhere and anywhere, and then gone again the following year.. this entire family seems to be extremely cyclical.. Many years ago we never saw Croakers , and Spots and Kings would be here and there depending on the year.. they will be back.. Did not see many reports of Croakers or Spots this year either... Last year, guys were filling buckets..bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 09-30-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Old 10-01-2014, 01:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Last year I was catching plenty of big spots, and croackers, nothing this year.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

as Bob said it's all about the cycles
Old 10-01-2014, 06:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

over-globalfishingwarmipollution is to blame.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

i definately agree with croakers, spots, weakfish being cyclical; croakers and spots were everywhere last year and while i still caught a bunch of croakers this year it was nothing like last year, just never saw it with the kingfish to this extent but it makes sense since they all related, oh well, tog time is here and ill be forgetting all about kingfish soon enough
Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My experience with Kingfish going back to 86 when I caught my first one is that one year to the next is boom or bust. A bad year is as likely to be followed by a good year as another bad year. Another of the ocean's great mysteries.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Blowfish too.. Some years they are everywhere, other years they are no where... bob