NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Round Valley 3/27 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Round Valley 3/27

Went out to RVR today in the main park to get away from the crowds at the boatramp. Essentially had the back of Rangers Cove to myself other than a guy who walked around casting a Rapala who left as quickly as he arrived.

Was using M&M's today on 2 rods and managed a nice 20" brown. Took some pics and then threw him back.

As I was getting ready to leave a HUGE trout showed up, well over 30". I think it was a Tiger-trout, it was really dark on top and the markings on it looked like a calico cat which was pretty cool in the quick flash I saw of it. I bumped in the RVTA Trophy-stocking committee chair at the Quickcheck this morning and he told me that put some 10+ LBS fish in yesterday so maybe that was one of them. I threw what I had handy (2" grub) at it and it had a look but it wasn't taking. I changed to a pins minnow and managed scared the crap out of it and it took off and ran into the line on one of my M&M's and nearly pulled that other rod into the water.

Was out there for 4 hours, not really spring weather by an stretch but I was layered up and had a great body of water to myself.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Round Valley 3/27

Sweeeeeeeet!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Round Valley 3/27

Great photos ! The water is so clear its scary
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Round Valley 3/27

Nice fish! I have a question that (at least in my mind) deserves an answer here. I have never heard of a tiger trout being caught at RV. Am I missing something here?? Did they decide to introduce them this year or is RVTA or someone else throwing some in? To my knowledge, that was not a state stocked fish in RV.

Please understand that I've been following fishing (to a half way decent degree) at RV for years and the words "tiger trout" have never been seen by me until today.

Could I be dead wrong...sure!

If some are being stocked by the clubs, that is great as hybrids fight harder and are a definite change of pace!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The Round Valley Trout Association stocked quite a few of them last year, I helped out with the stocking and they were beautiful fish and were said to put up a good fight. I think Andy caught one last summer if my memory is right.

The RVTA had it's club stocking yesterday and put in a 100 big fish. I'm thinking this might have been one put in yesterday as it was the only fish I saw cruising in the shallows the 4+ hours I was there so I'm assuming it was new to the waters.

It's the first time I saw one in the water and the markings were brilliant-looking. They also put in a few golden-trout as well.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Nice brown Moz.. Fish stocked on Saturday were all tagged...
Old 03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice pics WTG on the fish ya put back
NRA Certified Range Safty Officer
Charolette Harbor,Floria
The ReelErIn
Come fish the flats
19' Key West 130 ETech
email: BillEnglehardt@yahoo.com