NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-04-2017, 03:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete

I'm working right now, but I will be making calls to the Hunterdon County Soil Conservation District, the Raritan Headwaters Association, as well as other local conservation groups. Andy S, if you see this, please send me a PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Good work, Hookmanski, for getting video.
You mentioned it's all the way down to the reservoir? Any idea what the 'sediment' is?
Old 08-04-2017, 04:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmyorke1 View Post
Good work, Hookmanski, for getting video.
You mentioned it's all the way down to the reservoir? Any idea what the 'sediment' is?
From my understanding, the quarry pumped water from their retention ponds into the stream. Most of the sediment seems to be rock dust and other dirt, but who knows what else was in there.

For the record the video i posted is not mine, it is actually the same video posted earlier in this thread via a youtube link. So shoutout to the guy who took that video! My stepfather told me about this, when he saw the water it was emerald green, highly different from its usual crystal clear appearance.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I am not that familiar with this area and did't realize the site is upstream of Spruce Run Reservoir

Maps of Area

https://goo.gl/maps/QLvmWh2Ck5A2

https://binged.it/2voVjru

Hook thanks for alerting us here and keep fighting
Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
I am not that familiar with this area and did't realize the site is upstream of Spruce Run Reservoir

Maps of Area

https://goo.gl/maps/QLvmWh2Ck5A2

https://binged.it/2voVjru

Hook thanks for alerting us here and keep fighting
Yea I noticed that there are two ponds not to far from the creek (if the satellite image is up to date enough). Im guessing they're more elevated from the creek so they run down south into it.
Along with mulhawkaway it's an important tributary.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Exclamation Re: Spruce Run Creek dumping by Eastern Concrete

Our policy director, Bill Kibler, took this photo of sediment clouding the Spruce Run creek off Van Sycles Road in Clinton, at the mouth of the Spruce Run Reservoir. At some point last weekend, a large amount of stone dust sludge was apparently discharged from the Glen Gardner Quarry into the Spruce Run. Dead fish and frogs have been found, and Bill is working with the NJ Department of Environmental Protection to assess the full impact on aquatic life in the stream. We'll post updates as we find out more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20596949_1396333230414124_8568584935998615379_n.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	114480  
Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Our policy director, Bill Kibler, took this photo of sediment clouding the Spruce Run creek off Van Sycles Road in Clinton, at the mouth of the Spruce Run Reservoir. At some point last weekend, a large amount of stone dust sludge was apparently discharged from the Glen Gardner Quarry into the Spruce Run. Dead fish and frogs have been found, and Bill is working with the NJ Department of Environmental Protection to assess the full impact on aquatic life in the stream. We'll post updates as we find out more.
It is good to hear that you guys are aware of the situation. Please send me a PM, I'd like to help in any way that I can. I have posted several reports from this stream since joining the site earlier this year and this creek is a huge part of my childhood/life.

Do you have a DEP case number I can follow up on? I'd like to read the reports.

Again, thank you, and thank everyone else for caring.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:29 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
That's right where my buddies and I were fishing on Sunday. We were there for a few hours or so. Two people from the state (I think that's where they were from) told us to pack it up and move since it wasn't safe. I've never been fishing there, so I had no clue if it was normal or not.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

sounds like concerns were legit back in 2k12

https://www.raritanheadwaters.org/pr...-glen-gardner/

and 2k14

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-d...posal_not.html

"The outlet of the retention pond in the quarry feeds directly to Spruce Run, a C-1 trout production stream. Spruce Run Reservoir, the source of clean drinking water for 1.5 million New Jersey residents, is just downstream. The stream and the reservoir should be protected from additional pollution resulting from the expansion of the quarry."

Last edited by tycomps; 08-04-2017 at 05:43 PM..
Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have family members on the town council, I will be speaking with them as well as the mayor. I want to put an end to this. The retention pond should NOT be allowed to be pumped out into the creek/reservoir.