NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fishing out of Manasquan Inlet - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:59 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Fishing out of Manasquan Inlet

Hey guys new to the board. I have had a small bay boat for many years, this year I upgraded to a 24' Grady White Offshore with a single 225 E-Etech w/ a 93 gallon tank out of the Manasquan Inlet. This year I fished Axel Carlson a bunch of times and did the fall striper run. I am curious what other spots you guys recommend I check out this summer and what kind of mileage I can safely reach offshore (weather permitting obviously). Is the mud hole an option for me? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 02:00 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Fishing out of Manasquan Inlet

The sea girt reef is just north of the inlet so certainly there. Going north the klondike bank and Shrewsbury rocks can be productive .Shark River reef is 15 miles east of the inlet. This summer there were plenty of mahi on the pots in and near the the SRR. The monster ledge, mudhole and glory hole all should be well within your range once you are comfortable with the new rig. If you want a buddy boat next year let me know my boat is a 26 foot Scout Abaco with twin 150's. How did you do with the stripers? This year was no where as good as last for me.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm24 View Post
The sea girt reef is just north of the inlet so certainly there. Going north the klondike bank and Shrewsbury rocks can be productive .Shark River reef is 15 miles east of the inlet. This summer there were plenty of mahi on the pots in and near the the SRR. The monster ledge, mudhole and glory hole all should be well within your range once you are comfortable with the new rig. If you want a buddy boat next year let me know my boat is a 26 foot Scout Abaco with twin 150's. How did you do with the stripers? This year was no where as good as last for me.
Thanks for your thorough answer! I did ok with stripers late season, nothing great. I never saw any bunker schools or blitzes just picked off a few on the bottom using mojos. Buddy boat would be great, where are you out of?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Site Sponsor

Congratulations on the new boat. For your question on range. Keep in mind, your capacity is around 10-15% less because the fuel tube doesn't go to the bottom. You should fill the boat up with fuel, take at maybe 2 other people, make a run around 15 miles, Shark River Reef is about that. Come back and fill up. It will give you an idea of your consumption. Your consumption will go up when it's rough. We all plan on a perfect weather day but mother nature has other ideas. There are lots of good fishing areas out of Manasquan. When you are comfortable with the boat and have a good idea of your range. Good luck.

captreelaction@aol.com
Old 01-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMarc View Post
Congratulations on the new boat. For your question on range. Keep in mind, your capacity is around 10-15% less because the fuel tube doesn't go to the bottom. You should fill the boat up with fuel, take at maybe 2 other people, make a run around 15 miles, Shark River Reef is about that. Come back and fill up. It will give you an idea of your consumption. Your consumption will go up when it's rough. We all plan on a perfect weather day but mother nature has other ideas. There are lots of good fishing areas out of Manasquan. When you are comfortable with the boat and have a good idea of your range. Good luck.
Good advice here.... And in addition to your actual capacity being 10 to 15% less, most people use the 1/3rd rule of thumb which is when planning a trip, when your return home, you should plan to have 1/3 of your fuel in reserve. The reason is if you get caught in less then ideal running conditions, you'll use more fuel...

All boats are different but I have a friend running a 23 Aquasport with an 225 etec and he's getting around 2.3 miles per gallon... I would think you boat is a bit heavier so you'll likely get less. If however you were getting the same, with 93 gallons less 10% you'd have 84 usable gallons and when you apply the 1/3 rule your down to 56 gallons... 56 gallons x 2.3 miles per gallon gives you a range of 120 miles so 60 out and 60 back..

Using these figures, trips out to the Mudhole are within those ranges so areas like The Reasor, Glory Hole, Monster Ledge, Little Italy should be doable but places like the Chicken Canyon and Princess are a little outside your safe range...

And, it goes without saying, in a 24 foot boat, you need to pick your days.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 01-22-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBeachBrian View Post
Thanks for your thorough answer! I did ok with stripers late season, nothing great. I never saw any bunker schools or blitzes just picked off a few on the bottom using mojos. Buddy boat would be great, where are you out of?
I'm on the north Branch of the Beaver Damn creek so its up the canal and out of the Manasquan inlet for me
Old 02-07-2019, 12:49 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks for all the good information guys! I have a lot of research to do to hold me over until the boat goes back in.

At the end of the season I left the cover off my navigation/ fishfinder it got wet and crapped out. Any suggestions on replacements that wont break the bank?
Old 02-07-2019, 01:33 PM
NJFishing.com Member

mud hole def within reach . used to fish it with a 20ft cape horn center. sharks, mahi, bluefin, ling, cod. pick your days and have your safety gear. good luck
Old 02-07-2019, 02:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBeachBrian View Post
Thanks for all the good information guys! I have a lot of research to do to hold me over until the boat goes back in.

At the end of the season I left the cover off my navigation/ fishfinder it got wet and crapped out. Any suggestions on replacements that wont break the bank?
What's your budget?
Units go from several hundred to several thousand.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:42 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
What's your budget?
Units go from several hundred to several thousand.
I would like to stay under a grand