NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Landlocked Salmon - Tilton, Waywayanda & Aeroflex Lake Question - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Landlocked Salmon - Tilton, Waywayanda & Aeroflex Lake Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23cardinal View Post
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/f...ktrtsalmon.pdf

Never gotten to do it myself
Would want a depth finder. Gonna try this fall prob. Good luck if you go. If so, bring bass gear. Haven't been in a few years, but that lake has some big bass if u walk
Great info!

Thanks Cardinal. I can definitely use this. I know I wont have downriggers. But I will use planers, live-lining herring and maybe bucktail the bottom and see what i come up with...either way, it will be a great time out on the water!
Old 07-01-2016, 12:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I usually use a medium or medium light action, and I run 15lb braid on all my spinning setups. If im fishing line shy species I use 10lb floro otherwise I run 15lb floro for everything else, seguar label.

Ive never marked them on bottom or even near it, they are usually high up with 15-20ft down being a good starting point if you are trolling. You can easily troll with snap weights or even a 3 way dropper rig for trout, no need for specialized rods or downriggers if you dont already have them.

trolling is all speed dependent, pick a speed and go into shallower sandy bottom and let your rig out however you have it rigged and bump bottom as you go shallower, now you know how much line out at what speed gets you to that depth, this is where linecounters are handy
Old 07-01-2016, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capspath83 View Post
Thanks Jimmy. I appreciate it. what pound test do you use? I am going to have to buy a bigger rod and reel since all i have right now is an ultra light up to 4lb test.
You can definitely live line herring on UL. In fact it's probably better than heavier line because they can swim more naturally.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:13 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I did Waywayanda once last year, late fall. Weeds were thick by the launch, choked up my trolling motor and I had to row in vs. the wind at the end of the day. Wasn't marking anything deep, saw a bear on the far bank, caught one pickerel. I'm in no hurry to go back.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
you can rent kayaks and boats at aeroflex. they even have bait...
I thought this was a typo but I was by there yesterday for a hike with the wife and Andover Hunt & Fish has set up a shed at the launch and are renting kayaks and paddle boats there now... UGH... there goes the neighborhood... how long until we see this at Split Rock too... and let's not forget the paddleboard pilates at Monksville... this is getting ridiculous...
Old 07-03-2016, 10:31 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I went to Wawayanda for the first time with a friend who owns a boat and we expected to catch nothing since his fishfinder couldn't pick up any fish, but we did ok with a few landlocked salmon, a pickerel, a stocked rainbow trout, and a solid 18.5" largemouth bass. (we went in mid-June this year.)

I didn't catch anything because i suck at fishing from boats (I'm mostly a shore angler since i don't own even a kayak yet), but my friend did well trolling around a rapala and some live herring. I missed all the bites i got but i think mine were all small fish like perch or crappies. I had all my bites while i was drifting super slow near shore.

The pickerel, bass and rainbow trout all bit near weeds, but the landlocked salmon were found on both deep portions of the lake, near dropoffs. They were likely anywhere from 10ft-20ft down in about 40ft of water. So I guess they tend to stay higher up in the water column.

I'd say you definitely need some sort of water craft to get to them and just troll around at 0.5-1.5 miles per hour around dropoffs and you'll eventually get them. I cant wait to go back on my own once i get a kayak! (with a fishfinder that isn't 30 years old haha)
One of the reasons I have waited to fish lakes like Wawayanda, etc. is because i feel like it would be a waste of time unless i have at least a kayak and a fishfinder.

Last edited by MudCat08; 07-03-2016 at 10:38 PM..
Old 07-04-2016, 06:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCat08 View Post
I went to Wawayanda for the first time with a friend who owns a boat and we expected to catch nothing since his fishfinder couldn't pick up any fish, but we did ok with a few landlocked salmon, a pickerel, a stocked rainbow trout, and a solid 18.5" largemouth bass. (we went in mid-June this year.)

I didn't catch anything because i suck at fishing from boats (I'm mostly a shore angler since i don't own even a kayak yet), but my friend did well trolling around a rapala and some live herring. I missed all the bites i got but i think mine were all small fish like perch or crappies. I had all my bites while i was drifting super slow near shore.

The pickerel, bass and rainbow trout all bit near weeds, but the landlocked salmon were found on both deep portions of the lake, near dropoffs. They were likely anywhere from 10ft-20ft down in about 40ft of water. So I guess they tend to stay higher up in the water column.

I'd say you definitely need some sort of water craft to get to them and just troll around at 0.5-1.5 miles per hour around dropoffs and you'll eventually get them. I cant wait to go back on my own once i get a kayak! (with a fishfinder that isn't 30 years old haha)
One of the reasons I have waited to fish lakes like Wawayanda, etc. is because i feel like it would be a waste of time unless i have at least a kayak and a fishfinder.
Great to hear Mudcat, glad to see your going to go back. I see they rent boats so I am going to go and test my luck in the next few weeks.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I have fished for landlocked salmon and brook trout for years at Mooselookmeguntic Lake in upper Maine. Always right after ice out and always on the surface with streamer flies, (no or very little weights) and am most successful.
How about such at Lake Waywayanda? Anyone with success using surface streamers? What time/s of year?

I don't like using lead line or weights to go deep. Takes the fun out of fly fishing.

CarterB
Old 04-11-2018, 12:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

i answered you on the other post
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Closed Thread