NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Some Comments on Fluke - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Site Moderator

Default Re: Some Comments on Fluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler Paul
I am disappointed with the results of the meeting but the time to debate it was before or at the NJMFC meeting on 3/1. I did my best testifying in favor of the longer season but could only talk about 3 of my 10 points supporting it because each speaker was supposed to be limited to 2 minutes.There were sound arguments on each side. When speaking about the potential of exceeding our quota this year, I really don't think it matters much if we chose option 2 or option 5. One thing that matters is what type of season we have, some years the fishing is outstanding and other years it is poor. Unfortunately, what matters the most is the inaccurate data (MRFSS) that is being used to determine how many fish we caught. The data is inaccurate and is a real crap shoot. We have had some years where the fishing was poor coastwide throughout the season and we were told we overfished our quoata and the opposite has occurred as well. At this point we need to push for more accurate data and keep our fingers crossed that we do not exceed our quota.

Paul

I thought the Board stated that the "NJ Volunteer Program" was the "science" that they used, not MRFFFFFSSSSSSSSSS ???
NJ DEVILS
Old 03-03-2012, 09:35 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This SUCKS! 17.5in.-5 fish. Last year 18in. 8 fish. Whats the 1/2in. and 3 less fish = we went backwards. All my time and money I spent with the RFA and SSFFF to help get the regs angler friendley and some South Jersey Captain looking after his own intersest blows smoke up the powers to be a$$ more "eliquently" gets his way. Hey Captain One Way thank you.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

"Socks"..... Couldn't hit the nail on the head any better.....
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by socks
This SUCKS! 17.5in.-5 fish. Last year 18in. 8 fish. Whats the 1/2in. and 3 less fish = we went backwards.
I am in total agreement. If my car wasnt totaled right now I would have been there, next year I will be there if I have to walk. ? I just hope the damage done here can be reversed next year. I really cannot believe a for hire captain would vote for an option with less fish and a shorter season than they COULD have had. If I wasn't so pissed about the regulations we have been delt I would laugh about the 1/2" making a difference in catching a few keepers and catching non on most days for the average angler. I can see it making a difference for the guys who only fish surf or the back bays, but look at the rocks on a weekend or the channels in Raritan Bay and tell me that isnt the majority of fishermen. Some days the 1/2" may be the difference between someone bringing fish home or not but most days it will not be the case!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It sounds like some guys attempted to compromise as to which options were best. Those from up north appeared to be concerned, rightly so, for the people down south as well as for themselves. Many people fish bays and river down south, and they dont have the same opportunity to catch larger fish. I know it's only a half inch, but 17" would have been good. 5 fish is plenty for a day out. We have to take all anglers into account.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bogan
It sounds like some guys attempted to compromise as to which options were best. Those from up north appeared to be concerned, rightly so, for the people down south as well as for themselves. Many people fish bays and river down south, and they dont have the same opportunity to catch larger fish. I know it's only a half inch, but 17" would have been good. 5 fish is plenty for a day out. We have to take all anglers into account.
....and your point....is?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Site Sponsor

I did not keep count but I thought it was pretty close to a 50/50 split for option #2 and option #5. If the RFA took a vote, and it was that close, and they chose the majority position, they would have still disappointed 48% of the membership.
I thought the meeting was poorly attended. I expected to see a packed house, especially by more of the professional fluke captains. However, if the split was the same across the state, we may still have had the same outcome.
I chose #2 because I hate to go down in a bag limit, would rather have a longer season, and I don’t really think ½” is going make that big of a difference in the number of keepers. (I could be wrong about the ½” though)

Click Here to Join our email list

https://www.facebook.com/TheBigJamaica

800 Ashley Ave
Brielle, NJ 08730
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by socks
....and your point....is?

It was the best option for ALL of the NJ anglers. North, South, Central, Back bay, Ocean and Surf anglers

RFA-NJ Member www.rfanj.org
SSFFF Contributer
Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish The Drop Off
It was the best option for ALL of the NJ anglers. North, South, Central, Back bay, Ocean and Surf anglers
Survey says WRONG!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish The Drop Off
Where do you fish out of Capt.? It was the best option for all of NJ anglers?
Back bay? Ocean? Surf?
So where do you think that the majority of the 17.5-17.99in. fish will make their home for the fluke season ?
1. Backbay
2. Surf
3. Ocean

Only pick one PLEASE.