NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke - when to set the hook - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:03 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Fluke - when to set the hook

This question is for jigging on a party boat.

For years, I have been delaying setting the hook when the bite is weak thinking that the fish is just playing with the end of my bait and hasn't swallowed it yet.

After watching some of the incredible underwater video of John Skinner on youtube, I think I am going to change my mind and will try to set the hook as soon as I feel anything. If I miss, the fish will come back according to the videos.

What do you guys do when the bite is only a slight tug or just weak?
Old 07-01-2016, 07:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fluke - when to set the hook

I set the hook like there is no tomorrow every time no mater the type of hit. These fish will chase your bait so if you miss once they come back

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:53 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

When I'm jigging fluke, I try to cross their eyes whenever I feel a bump. If you miss and keep jigging, they do tend to follow and strike again
Old 07-03-2016, 09:16 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thanks guys for the info. I will try that and report back on the result.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Panic View Post
Thanks guys for the info. I will try that and report back on the result.
Hope you get em!

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:32 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Ok, here is my report. I was on a non-sponsor boat out of AH on 7/4 with my son for a 1/2 day trip in the morning.

The first hour or so, we had a really good drifting condition as it was light wind with the tide. You had to catch something in that hour or otherwise there was a good chance you went home with nothing.

My setup was a 2 oz bucktail with spearing with a gulp minnow on a trailer hook. It was what the fish wanted I guess as I was bringing up one fish after another when no one else seemed to be doing anything.

I was trying to set the hook as soon as there was a slight hint of a bite. I would say half the time, the fish came back for the bait and the other half, they did not even though the bait were still there. So, my result is kind of mixed.

I ended up with 2 keepers and 2 robins while my son just had shorts (about a half a dozen). He was dragging bait though.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

In general, Fluking definitely works better when you have your rod in your hand working your bait and detecting strikes or sometime just a little extra weight. However, there have been days where a dead stick and not setting the hook works best.... A few weeks back we were bucktailing and that was the case...If you held your rod and tried to set the hook, no fish. If you put it in the rod holder and let it practically bend over you hooked up.

Every day is different.

One thing has been very consistent over the years bucktailing and that is to make sure you tip your hook with a spearing or something. Time and time again you get a hit and once the spearing is gone no hits until until you put another spearing on.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-16-2016, 12:42 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
In general, Fluking definitely works better when you have your rod in your hand working your bait and detecting strikes or sometime just a little extra weight. However, there have been days where a dead stick and not setting the hook works best.... A few weeks back we were bucktailing and that was the case...If you held your rod and tried to set the hook, no fish. If you put it in the rod holder and let it practically bend over you hooked up.

Every day is different.

One thing has been very consistent over the years bucktailing and that is to make sure you tip your hook with a spearing or something. Time and time again you get a hit and once the spearing is gone no hits until until you put another spearing on.
Thanks Jerry for the really interesting info. WHo would have thought that dead sticking could work better than jigging

One question about the spearing. If you are using a high low setup, would the spearing go on the heavier bottom bucktail or both?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Definately on the upper/teaser hook with the gulp since that is what most of the fish will hit. Does not hurt to tip the bucktail as well.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 07-22-2016, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Set that hook like it's your job! Fluke are very aggressive and will chase the bait if you miss on the first few swings.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"